We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most scenic route Boston to Quebec City

Gympie, Queensland...
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Topic
Most scenic route Boston to Quebec City

HI, was wondering what suggestions there were out there for the most scenic route Boston to Quebec City for a first time visitor to the US and Canada. Thanks.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,716 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most scenic route Boston to Quebec City

Michelle -- You don't say whether you need to do this drive in one day, or have more than one available, so will put forth a couple of suggestions to get the discussion started....

Most direct, but also scenic, route: I-93 North from Boston to I-91 near St Johnsbury, VT; I-95 north to Autoroute 55 in Quebec Province, to Autoroute 20 to Quebec City. Plan on about seven hours of driving time, not counting stops for food, fuel or to clear customs as the Candaian-US border. This route will take you through the Franconia Notch area of the White Mountains National Forest, with some rugged mountainsides, forested slopes and nice scenery along the way.

Option 2: If you have more time -- I-93 north from Boston to Lincoln, NH; then NH Rt 112; Rt 112 to Conway, NH; Rt 16 from Conway to Jackson, NH; overnight in the small New England village of Jackson; then back down Rt 16 a short ways to US Rt 302 in Glen; then US 302 north to rejoin I-93 north; then same directions as above.... Adds the chance to drive the scenic Kancamagus Highway (Rt 112 between Lincoln and Conway) and to see Crawford Notch (the section of US Rt 302 between Bartlett and Twin Mountain (passes the base of the Mt Washington Cog Railroad and the historic Mt Washington Hotel).

Option 3: Go further north, taking I-95 from Boston to Fairfield, ME; then US 302 north to the Maine-Quebec border, where you can pick up Autoroutes 173, 73 and 440 to Quebec City.... between seven and a half and eight hours driving time not counting stops. Not as mountainous as the two NH options, but a nice ride up US Rt 302 and the Kennebec River valley through the forests of northwestern Maine.

Gympie, Queensland...
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Most scenic route Boston to Quebec City

Great info, thanks. We are actually travelling from New York, departing Sept 10 to Toronto, departing Buffalo via Niagara Falls Sept 20. We are trying to piece together the journey in between so are flexible between these dates. I like the sound of your overnight stay. We are travelling with two children 7 & 9. Having never been to US or Canada before we are a little overwhelmed at planning our journey.

Gympie, Queensland...
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Most scenic route Boston to Quebec City

Great info, thanks. We are actually travelling from New York, departing Sept 10 to Toronto, departing Buffalo via Niagara Falls Sept 20. We are trying to piece together the journey in between so are flexible between these dates. I like the sound of your overnight stay. We are travelling with two children 7 & 9. Having never been to US or Canada before we are a little overwhelmed at planning our journey.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,716 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most scenic route Boston to Quebec City

Michelle -- Can help with Maine and (some) New Hampshire destinations, but don't know enough about New York, Massachuestts, etc. to help with the rest of your trip. You might want to address questions about those states to their respective Trip Advisor forums....

OR -- to the right hand side of this page is a box labeled "Beyond Destination Forums"... Click on it, then on "See All"... That will open up a list of more specific, more specialized forums, one of which is labeled "Road Trip Forum"... It's designed for folks (like you) who are trying to work out details of trips through multiple US States and/or Canadian provinces and is watched by volunteers who have considerable experience in organizing and taking longer, multiple destination trips. They may be able to help you put together your itinerary and answer other questions that don't fit neatly into a single-state forum.

But still plenty of help available on this forum for questions about New Hampshire.....some of the other folks who check this forum know New Hampshire in general and the North Conway/Jackson area even better than I do.... so don't be afraid to ask....

Gympie, Queensland...
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Most scenic route Boston to Quebec City

Thanks for your help.

1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Most scenic route Boston to Quebec City

Hi Michelle. Were a gold coast family of four travelling Quebec to Boston in a few weeks time but only one maybe two stops. Which route did u take? How did u find it an what would u recommend?

7. Re: Most scenic route Boston to Quebec City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 June 2013, 18:05
Gympie, Queensland...
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Most scenic route Boston to Quebec City

We ended up excluding Boston from our itinerary, just couldn't fit it in. Sorry I can't be of help.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Most scenic route Boston to Quebec City

My wife and I are going to our niece's wedding at Montauk on Long Island last weekend of September. We are thinking of having a trip around New England after the wedding. I understand we can get a ferry to New Haven and then a train to Boston to save going back to NY where we have been many times.

I am 70 and do not drive anymore and while my wife drives, we do not want to spend lots of time in the car, nor is she keen on 'hairy' mountain drives. I am afraid gentle is the way we now prefer it.

The best for us would be trains ( we love Amtrak) or buses. I have looked at the organised coach trips and they are not really our cup of tea. My thoughts are Boston ; along the coast ; then North Conway; through to Quebec; Montreal;Niagara; Toronto; home to UK

Our aim is to see Boston, some foliage, Quebec and Niagara.We are looking at 10 or so days,

Can we do it without a car? Any thoughts please?

Thank you

Leon Kreitzman

]#

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Most scenic route Boston to Quebec City

My first thought is that it's always best to start your own thread, rather than resurrecting an old one, especially one that's only loosely related to your own interests. So I suggest you copy your post, click "Ask a question," and paste the content there. You're more likely to get useful replies.

Second, I'm sorry to say that I think your objective is hopelessly ambitious. I wouldn't want to do it in 10 days with a car, let alone by train/air/coach. Is it impossible? No, but it would be complicated, very expensive, and exhausting, and it would leave you little time for anything other than the actual travel and getting yourselves to and from the conveyances you'd be relying on. In particular, you say that seeing foliage is one of the things you're interested in, but without your own vehicle you'd be restricted to what you can see from the coach (or whatever)--no opportunity to wander back roads and explore small towns.

Sorry to be so negative, but it's hard for me to imagine this being an enjoyable plan.