We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carlsbad vs. Whites City for hotels?

USA
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Topic
Carlsbad vs. Whites City for hotels?

Arriving in ElPaso at 4:15 PM on a Friday and driving straight to the Carlsbad area. Does it make any difference whether we stay in a hotel in Silver City vs. Carlsbad? We will be there for 2 nights in Late Sept...seems like we will drive thru Whites City first--is there any reason to go a bit further to the actual town of Carlsbad since the caverns seem closer to Whites City---thus staying in Whites City will put us closer to the caverns in the morning. Thank you for your advice.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,974 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carlsbad vs. Whites City for hotels?

Whites City has 1 motel, a Rodeway Inn, and it appears the new owners of the town are trying to fix the place up. Last time I was there the only restaurant was horrible and I'm not even sure if there is a restaurant there. I would stay in Carlsbad, there are a number of newer lodging options (Fairfield Inn, Hampton) on the southern part of town, plus restaurants and grocery stores.

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carlsbad vs. Whites City for hotels?

I agree with CasaAzul. Don't stay at White's City. You would still have to go into Carlsbad to eat. It is only another 30 miles further, and well worth the extra time.

Not sure about your reference to Silver City. Do you plan of visiting it also, or did you think it was close to Carlsbad? It really isn't close by. New Mexico is the 5th largest state in the Union, and it is several hours from Carlsbad to Silver City, and over 2 hours from El Paso to SC.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,694 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carlsbad vs. Whites City for hotels?

I suggest have a look at Whites City...Should the lodgings and food service seem acceptable stay on... As the Park is having problems with a contractor finishing the new elevators ... You want to be into the caves first thing,before the crowds hit...and line up to exit...carracar

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carlsbad vs. Whites City for hotels?

Last summer when visiting Carlsbad NP, I stayed north of Carlsbad (the NP is south). I had no problem being there before anything opened.

Personally? I would never stay in White's City...and I'm not that picky.

Keith

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carlsbad vs. Whites City for hotels?

Also, unless you have mobility issues, I highly recommend entering the caves via the Natural Entrance. It's a fairly steep walk down but is a wonderful way to begin your visit.

Then visit the Big Room which, like the Natural Entrance, you do as a self-guided tour. If the elevators are still problematic, then plan on eating lunch in the underground cafe.

Try to book the ranger led King's Palace tour. Offered several times a day and even better formations than the Big Room.

Don't let the elevator issues make you rush through the caverns and not enjoy them fully. Just allow for extra time waiting.

Keith

(And hopefully the elevator issues will be solved by September, anyway)

Edited: 10 April 2012, 07:31
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carlsbad vs. Whites City for hotels?

We stayed at the Rodeway Inn last october. Not bad but nothing fancy. It has a pool. There's restaurant next to it. Friendly owners but basic food. Carlsbad is another 20 minutes from Whites City.

With 2 nights I'd stay in Carlsbad itself. We just stayed one night because we only wanted to see the bats fly out (been to the Caverns several times before).

Tet

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carlsbad vs. Whites City for hotels?

Even tho I stayed in White's City one night more than 20 years ago with my child, and we survived (we even swam in the pool), I could never recommend it, even as close as it is. I have heard the Holiday Inn Express in Carlsbad is a good choice. I've watched reports of White's City ever since then and nothing I've heard makes me think it's ever improved and I'd fear that efforts to improve it come and go. I want to be fair--the mixed reviews include some who found it quite acceptable--but it's one I couldn't recommend. Carlsbad may be worth the extra drive.

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carlsbad vs. Whites City for hotels?

While I've been a naysayer as well for White's City, Tet14 always gives good advice…if there's anyone who can make me rethink White's City, it would be Tet!

Keith

USA
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Carlsbad vs. Whites City for hotels?

Did you get to see lots of bats? Thank you all for your replies!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carlsbad vs. Whites City for hotels?

There still will be plenty end of september. Less end of october. Don't miss the Ranger talk in the amphitheater before the bats fly out.

And thanks for your kind word Keith.

Tet