We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall Trip to Upstate NY

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
33 posts
153 reviews
Fall Trip to Upstate NY

Anyone got advice for Texans travelling to NYState for a week of Fall Foliage? We've never been so have no idea what we're doing!

Would love a quick 2 day of NYC spots, and then travel upstate or to mountains for fall color and to get away from city for rest of trip.

We are both 58 yrs old, in good physical shape, and want to see the countryside, experience the outdoors, experience local cuisine and wines.

Any suggestions?

Central Florida...
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Fall Trip to Upstate NY

Well lets see, your 58 so you are in the Woodstock era. How about going to see the new Woodstock Museam that opened up in Bethel this Summer. It is about an hour up the New York Thruway (I-87). Bethel is at the foot of the Catskill Mountains. From there you can take back roads through beautiful country and mountains. I would head up through Hunter and Windham . Search for Greene County New York and you will see all the sites you could hope for. If you need a destination how about aiming for Cooperstown. Not only the home of the baseball hall of fame but a very nice area. I would book a hotel ahead of time though as the good ones are booked well in advance of fall color season. My favorite hotel is the Venisian in Windham.

Hope this helps, enjoy.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
560 posts
123 reviews
2. Re: Fall Trip to Upstate NY

Aside from the Catskills, if you want to really make it a wine experience...perhaps you would like to consider the Finger Lakes region. Check out ...

http://www.fingerlakes.org/

You'd be about 4 hrs from NYC to Finger Lakes area (say Ithaca NY or another 1/2 hr to Watkins Glen).

BUT...whether Catskills or Finger Lakes....or any other UPSTATE NY destination....make your reservations in advance during fall foliage season (as previously mentioned).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Fall Trip to Upstate NY

Here's a previous thread started by some southerners coming to look at fall foliage in the Hudson Valley. It has resources for finding peak foliage times, as well as things to do and places to eat in HV:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1909258…

4. Re: Fall Trip to Upstate NY

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 11:18