We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from New York to Memphis

London, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from New York to Memphis

Hi, trying to find a cheaper way of travelling from New York to Memphis. Plane is about $300-$500 each. It looks like train would mean going via either Chicago or Atlanta (then driving). Can anyone suggest an alternative? Are there any local trains that link the different Amtrak routes?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,969 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from New York to Memphis

Round trip or one way? What dates? How many of you?

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,799 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from New York to Memphis

Atlanta is nowhere near Memphis. If you wanted to go by train from New York you'd need overnight trains. You could travel from New York to Chicago, and then Chicago to Memphis on another overnight train with a 6:30 a.m. arrival in Memphis. Alternatively, you could go by train from New York to New Orleans, stay overnight, and then take a train from there to Memphis.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,270 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from New York to Memphis

"Plane is about $300-$500 each. "

so...how much is the train? It would have to be a LOT of savings to get me to sit on a train for 18 hours...

(And I know you didn't ask, but honestly, having been there a few times, I don't think Memphis is really worth making an effort for. Apologies in advance to offended Memphians!)

London, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from New York to Memphis

BrooklynBrdge - One way. It's part of a road trip across America. Was originally going to fly to Memphis then drive but wife wants to go to New York first. Not sure of exact dates but in summer holidays. There's 5 of us.

AudenHoggart - A lot closer than New York. Amtrak goes to Atlanta then it's 383 miles to Memphis. Chicago might be a good option. Thanks.

IrishFan - Amtrak to Memphis via Chicago is approx $980 for all of us. Memphis is all part of homage to the King. Not everyone's cup of tea but just one of my dreams.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,964 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from New York to Memphis

You should repost on the NY CITY forum (this is NY state) and provide all the info. What you really need IMO is a place to fly to from NYC that gets you closer to Memphis but is less expensive to fly to. i really don't think you want to take the train unless its only as far as Washington DC. Train travel here is not great. Poster moreffmiles is good with this knd of question. Perhaps a flight to Atlanta is an idea. I have to agree, not sure Memphis is worth the trip, esp in the heat of summer, Elvis or no Elvis.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,964 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from New York to Memphis

Btw, no disrespect intended to AudenHoggart who is also very knowledgeable.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,799 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from New York to Memphis

Whiz, that's OK.

I wouldn't take the train unless I were taking a sleeper. Not everyone regards them as "fun," but they are a very different way to see the country and because of they way they serve meals in the diner, it's a good way to meet a cross-section of people you otherwise wouldn't meet. It's unlikely the train produce a savings, however.

Whatever you do about picking up a car, check carefully about drop off charges. They can be much higher than what you'd expect in the U.K.

London, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from New York to Memphis

Thanks all for your comments and advice.

Might have to swallow the fare for the flight, just wondered if there was a cheaper and fairly quick alternative. Looks like the answer to that is no.

As for Memphis, I'm used to the heat. Was brought up in West Africa. Looking forward to visiting Graceland, Sun Studios & Beale. I hear the BBQ is great there too.

Best Regards

Edited: 06 April 2012, 18:02
9. Re: Travel from New York to Memphis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 18:42