We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NC Road trip October 2012 2 weeks in total

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
NC Road trip October 2012 2 weeks in total

Advice needed on things to see. We are flying in to Charlotte from London for a wedding . We will be staying in the High Point area for 2 days for the wedding but would like to do a road trip over to Wilmington -Hatteras- Kitty Hawk -Elizabeth City-Rocky Mount-Winston Salem-High Point (for the wedding) then Asheville-Blue Ridge Parkway-Roanoke and back to Charlotte. What is your opinion on the main tourist sites on this route? We prefer back roads and small towns to Interstates and large cities. Using decent b&bs and clean motels budget about $120/150 per night

Thank you for any help and advice

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: NC Road trip October 2012 2 weeks in total

That is a lot of driving. From Charlotte I would drive to Charleston South Carolina. A beautiful city. World class restaurants...great architecture. Great beaches near by. Great history in the area.

I would then drive back to High Point for the wedding. Spend the rest of your time in the Asheville area. There are tons of small towns with charm in the Asheville area. Make sure and visit the Great Smokey Mt. Nat. Park

Edited: 13 April 2012, 23:43
North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NC Road trip October 2012 2 weeks in total

If you want to explore coastal North Carolina, consider a loop that includes New Bern - Morehead City/Beaufort (my favorite) - Cedar Island (ferry north to Ocracoke) - Ocracoke - Hatteras - Outer Banks. You could also include other beaches that are further south (Wilmington and above), but the OBX are lovely and unique. Charleston is also a good destination, but different scenery.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,307 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NC Road trip October 2012 2 weeks in total

Charleston is a special place and would be a good place to stay a few days. It is about 3,5 hours from Charlotte and five from High Point. If you only have two days in the US before the wedding I would go to Blowing Rock or Asheville and unwind. BR is less than 1.5 hours from the Charlotte airport and has plenty of nice accomodations and restaurants. If you have 5-6 days either side, i would do the itinerary you first proposed but would not spend too much time in Winston or raleigh areas but would head straight for the mountains or the beach. I also really like Beaufort.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: NC Road trip October 2012 2 weeks in total

Many thanks for all your help people.

I actually got the date wrong, we are actually going in September. Wedding is september 22nd so we will probably head out on the 20th and spend till the 23rd in High Point doing the usual wedding duties.

Im thinking heading straight to Charleston as it seems to get a good response from everyone. Spend a few days there and then head north up the coast stopping off for a bit of surfing if there is any to be had. Possibly checking out the outer banks if there is anywhere specific anyone can advise on.

Im wondering wether it will be worth then heading straight for Ashville? It will be a long drive to basically cross the state but i would love to do some walking around that area as i've heard good things. Then head back to the UK.

Let me know some thoughts as im not sure about distances and driving times for all of this journey.

Thanks again

5. Re: NC Road trip October 2012 2 weeks in total

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 15:17