We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking trip for 20 people

Atlanta, Georgia
14 posts
Save Topic
Hiking trip for 20 people

Hi I'm planning a hiking trip for 20 people. It will be 2nights and 3days. It can be somewhere from NC, TN, basically anywhere in or around GA. I was thinking about Smokey Mountain but the limit per shelter, campgrounds are mostly 8~10 there. So that won't work.

Please give me good suggestions:)

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking trip for 20 people

How about the Graveyard Fields/Shining Rock Wilderness area off the BRP (south of Asheville)? No shelters, so no limits on the number of people in each area. Are you planning on backpacking, or do you want to stay in a camping area and do day hikes? There is a campground along the BRP near the Pisgah Inn - you can do day hikes from there to the same places.

Atlanta, Georgia
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking trip for 20 people

I was thinking about backpacking. We wanted to walk anwhere from 6mi~8mi a day and stay at a campgroud and go to another one the day next. and it will be good if it's a loop so that we can come back to our van. Is that possible in that area?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking trip for 20 people

Yes, that is a very popular area for backpacking. Since I can't send you my hiking book and maps, it might be best if you search for info on the trailheads - Graveyard Fields, Black Balsam and Shining Rock Wilderness (the last one isn't a trailhead - it gives the location of trailheads to access the wilderness area ). You can hike to Shining Rock from the BRP trailheads (Graveyard Fields and Black Balsam) or from lower elevations on the east and west. There is some beautiful ridge top hiking in the area and spectacular views in all directions. Lots of possibilities. Enjoy the planning and the hiking!

Atlanta, Georgia
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking trip for 20 people

Do I have to make any reservation?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking trip for 20 people

No need to make reservations for 'back country' tent sites. The trails are in the Pisgah National Forest and Shining Rock Wilderness. There aren't shelters are formal sites there.

It is a popular backpacking area. Depending on the time of year and time of week (weekday vs weekend), it may take some time to find a place to set up your group. Some of the trail areas are open (no protection from summer evening thunderstorms) and access to water is something I can't help with. We've only done long day hikes in the area.

Atlanta, Georgia
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking trip for 20 people

Thank you very much! It helpe a lot. I am going to go to that area. I just have to plan it out once I find a map on the web. Thanks again:)

7. Re: Hiking trip for 20 people

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 23:41