We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amish Country for one day!

North Port, Florida
Level Contributor
96 posts
273 reviews
Save Topic
Amish Country for one day!

My husband and I are going to amish country for only one day next month. We will be there on a Monday. I'v gotten brochures and looked throughout the Amish Country websites and with so much to see and do in such a short time frame, I thought I'd ask for some advice. We both enjoy the outdoors, culture, cute shops/bakeries, ect. We are in our early 20s. We are not picky when it comes to going to new places or trying something different.

Are most shops and attractions open 9-5 on Mondays? We would like to get there right when places open to have a full day.

With so little time to see everything, where should our focus be? I don't want to drive through all these counties and waste time being on the road.. so was thinking to narrow it down to maybe just one or two counties to focus on? Would Holmes and Coshocton counties be good ones to choose? What are your opinions? One place suggested to us was Yoders Amish House in Millersburg, is this a good choice? Do you have to do a tour or are you free to look around on your own?

Any suggestions at all with what would be best for us to cover the most area would be wonderful! Also if you could suggest your favorite restaraunts, shops, attractions that would be great as well! THANKS! =D

North Port, Florida
Level Contributor
96 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amish Country for one day!

EDIT:

Came up with a rough route idea. How about.. Millersburg to berlin to Charm to Walnut Creek to Winesburg and finish in Sugarcreek? Is that to much in one day? We would do everything in each location but see as much as possible. Probably finish the day just driving around. This seems like it would catch the most popular spots and not take up to much driving time.

If you have suggestions please let me know or towns I should add!

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
96 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amish Country for one day!

In my opinion, that itinerary does sound like too much in one day. It's slower paced than that. I'd start with Berlin / Holmes County.

I don't really know about the hours.

The one suggestion I'll make is take cash and/or checkbook. Quite a few places do not accept credit cards. A lot of cash if you think you're going to buy a quilt, which can run into the hundreds of dollars.

Also, they may not have the lights on inside...so if a store looks closed, try the door.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
96 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amish Country for one day!

Another recommendation that is slightly out of the epicenter of Holmes County: Lehman's non-electric goods in Kidron. They have a catalog also if you can't make the visit http://www.lehmans.com/

And sorry to say I don't know about Yoder's Amish House. From their website, it's just a tour of the farm & leaning how people live without electricity & their faith. A lot of that info can be gleaned elsewhere. Despite their "Millersburg" address, the farm is way east of Berlin & even farther from the town of Millersburg. It's probably out of the way if you don't want to spend a lot of time on the country roads. You might get delayed for a bit behind a buggy or other slow-moving farm equipment, but they do move over when they can.

In the towns of Berlin, Millersburg, & Walnut Creek, you'lll still see a lot of day-to-day Amish life. The difference being that they're not intending to be on display. So if you want to learn & be able to ask questions, Yoder's Farm is the place.

But I think you'll get more out of visiting the towns, shopping, and eating.

I hope you enjoy your visit & can make it back for a longer stay sometime!

North Port, Florida
Level Contributor
96 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amish Country for one day!

Thank you Stephen M. for the advice! I'm glad you mentioned about bringing cash, I probably wouldn't have! Sounds like Yoders Farm is actually farther then what I thought.. maybe we will just take that out and focus on the towns and shopping. Thanks again!

cincinnati, ohio
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amish Country for one day!

My wife and I did a long weekend in Holmes county. My reviews are in my archived files here on T/A - double click my icon, click reviews for a variety of places in that area.

Keep in mind, even though this is a tourist area it was created by the non-Amish shop keepers, the Amish themselves really don't want you there. They require a different etiquette when you have direct contact with them.

Roscoe Village in Coshocton is another story and a great day trip instead.

Millersburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amish Country for one day!

To be honest if youre coming for just one day and you truly want to experience amish country i would simply drive to berlin and and walk the streets. its a very compact place with shops along main. I would sugest starting with that. i would eat an early breakfast at boyd and wurthmans on main. MOST shops open at 10 and are open till five with a few exeptions of course. after seeing what there is on main st. take 62 over to bunker hill and go to heinis cheese house where the amish make and sell cheese. they also have free wine and cheese tastings. from there go back to town and take 39 on out and maybe stop an schrocks amish farm..then continue on through walnut creek and then sugarcreek of course stopping at the shops and places that catch your eye. then eat supper at perhaps der dutchmans or dutch valley (make sure to go to the dutchman

bakery in walnut creek an get some cream sticks) also if you teally like to see a true amish town thats less touristy then from bunker hill you could go on 77 on down to mt. hope theres also a lehmans hardware branch there and an amish restauraunt mrs. yoders.

hooe your trip goes well. happy planning

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
184 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amish Country for one day!

Amish country is shops, food, and old tyme living.

I like Lehman's also.

Heini's cheese shop is beauty to behold. It's not far off the main drag. You can see the cheese being made. They have maybe a hundred or so cheeses made there along with other Amish country foods. There's also a bakery across the street. http://www.heinis.com/index.html

Guggisberg cheese is a bit out of the way, but they're the ones who invented baby swiss cheese (my favorite). There's also a German style restaurant there with the largest cuckoo clock (or something like that).

http://www.babyswiss.com/

It's little known that Ohio produces the most swiss cheese in the country. I think I read that somewhere.

Enjoy.

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Amish Country for one day!

I love Amish country. If you like good home cooking like me then you can't go wrong in Amish country. My Favorite place to chow down is the Dutch Valley Restaurant in Sugar Creek. Their meatloaf is absolutely heaven in your mouth! Have fun & be careful, watch those buggies.

9. Re: Amish Country for one day!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2013, 05:18