We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Texans want to experience Oregon Coast!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
33 posts
153 reviews
Texans want to experience Oregon Coast!

Could I please get suggestions from experienced travellers who have gone the coast highway from San Fran up the Oregon coast?

It will be our anniversary trip together, so we can travel as much or as little as we need...only have 6 days!

We love the outdoors, want to see scenery--not so much of the cities, but do want to see San Fran for 1-1/2 days then travel up the coastline to fly out of Portland.....but if there's city life that is recommended, we'll do it.

Any suggestions are appreciated....places not to miss, places to stay (or to avoid), sights to see, drives to take, hikes we must hike (limited to 1-2 miles).....your suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated!!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,642 posts
1,112 reviews
1. Re: Texans want to experience Oregon Coast!

So you have actually four nights to spend between the time you leave SF and arrive in Portland? And you don't care about spending any time in Portland?

And when you say "coast highway", are you thinking of taking Hwy 1 in CA (the one that hugs the ocean's edge), or Hwy 101 which is more inland? Hwy 1 is more scenic but slower, so you'll need to stay a night in between SF and Eureka area taking that route.

With four nights you can see a fair amount, but won't have extra time for Portland. It's about 750 miles or so from SF to Astoria, Oregon.

Sure, you'll get lots of suggestions, lol!

What is your lodging budget?

This will get you started in the general area:

http://avenueofthegiants.net

shannontech.com/ParkVision/…Redwood.html

http://www.spectacularoregon.com/

http://www.101milebymile.com/

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: Texans want to experience Oregon Coast!

Hi Texan,

You are doing your trip in reverse, from what most posters here recommend....based on the side of the road

you will be on. But that's okay, you are coming to Oregon and that's all that counts!

I will be zero help on the southern part of your trip. So, I will give input from Newport, north.

Newport has a great Aquarium and Marine Center. Well worth visiting. There is also a bayfront (old town Newport).

Lincoln City is to the north, about 20 miles. When I stay on the central coast, this is where I tend to stay....at either D Sands or Sea Gypsy...but it has been 5 years since I have been to either, soooo. LOL!

Traveling north from there, you will come upon Tillamook, which is not on the ocean front, but has a bay as well as the Tillamook Cheese Factory. Worth seeing for visitors. Touristy, yes.

Continuing north, Manzanita, which I no zero about....hey, at least I am honest. ;-)

Then Cannon Beach, which is busy and higher end, as far as beach life goes. It is not my favorite place (although must here love it). I don't hate it, I like it, it's just a spot that I tend to give half a day to. I do love the galleries....and, to the locals, I feel so much shame, I have never actually put my eyes on the ocean in Cannon Beach! Well, tells you how much time I spend there...or not. ;-)

Seaside is north of there, about 15-20 minutes. This area is more commercial and touristy. Most on this board do not seem to like it, but I do. I grew up going to Seaside many weekends of the year, so to me, it is nostalgia. There are "old time" shops there, some new places, a few art galleries and a few good eateries.

Keep going a bit further north to Gearhart. This is where I always stay on the north coast. Not a lot to do there, but, a great place to stay. I know someone with a condo at Gearhart by the Sea. The entire complex is great, ask for an upper floor for the best views.

About 15-20 minutes north will bring you to Fort Stevens...a great place to explore. It is quiet, most of the time, with self-guided history to see. As well as the wreck of the Peter Iredale.

North of their, Astoria, the oldest settlement in the northwest. Lots of history there, no ocean view, but a great Columbia River view. The river is about 4.5 miles across at this point.

You will have a GREAT time exploring the Oregon Coast!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: Texans want to experience Oregon Coast!

By the way, since you are limited on time, skip Portland. Spend your time on the coast as it is so spectacular! Portland is great, but it is a big city, so, been there done that if given the choice of Portland or the coast!

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
200 reviews
4. Re: Texans want to experience Oregon Coast!

It would also help to know when you're planning to do this trip, since summer recommendations and winter recommendations would vary. And what sort of budget do you have?

For your anniversary, I'd recommend your first night's stop being the Benbow Inn (about 50-60 miles south of Eureka). It's as romantic an inn as you're likely to find. It's in redwood country (depending on your timing, you can do the Avenue of the Giants before checking in or the next morning). All rooms are different and come with a decanter of sherry and high tea. The restaurant is super. You definitely need reservations and it's closed thru lots of the winter.

http://www.benbowinn.com/

I hesitate to recommend Gold Beach since you probably won't have time to do the Rogue River jetboats. My next stop, therefore, would be Yachats. Lots to see enroute (the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area, Heceta Head Lighthouse, Cape Perpetua, etc.).

After that, you've already been given lots of suggestions on your northward bound journey.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,642 posts
1,112 reviews
5. Re: Texans want to experience Oregon Coast!

Must disagree with you there, o'poppa. Benbow Inn, yes, but not then going all the way to Yachats in one day. Way too far, about 8 hours solid driving, not counting any stops.

Crescent City makes a good stop in between, or maybe Brookings. Both have very nice oceanfront accommodations but they are a tad pricey.

Perhaps Texan will respond with some budget numbers so we can make suggestions accordingly.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
200 reviews
6. Re: Texans want to experience Oregon Coast!

No serious disagreement, half-Brit. I was trying to figure out how to eliminate a really long stretch somewhere. I figured the Benbow would be a great romantic anniversary stop, but thought Brookings might be too short a leg, leaving a long stretch somewhere else. The problem we have is that no matter how much time people tell us they have it's never enough!

I'm sure our north coast posters will tell us to spend the time up there. Yachats/Newport just seem to be such a logical base of operationd for a day or so.

Level Contributor
39,527 posts
1,021 reviews
7. Re: Texans want to experience Oregon Coast!

The Stephanie Inn in Cannon Beach is very romantic, we had dinner there a few nights ago. You could visit Ecola State Park in Cannon Beach and nearby Seaside is also a fun place to visit. Have fun! :)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,642 posts
1,112 reviews
8. Re: Texans want to experience Oregon Coast!

However, the Stephanie Inn dining room has a view of the parking lot. No ocean view. Set menu only. Must guarantee ahead of time with credit card. And, from syrahgirl's previous post . . .

>> "Executive Chef Crystal Corbin came out to go over each menu item in detail with the diners that evening. " <<

Hmmm, not too "romantic" in my book, lol!

Will echo the question, when are you planning to visit?

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
9. Re: Texans want to experience Oregon Coast!

For the NW part... I would stay a couple nights in the Newport Area and another couple days in the Cannon Beach to Astoria Area.

Hikes-

One that would fit nicely is Ne-ah-kan-ie Mt. I can't remember the exact length of the hike but it is a nice one. It is S of Cannon Beach. Oswald West St. Park has nice easy hikes also.

Another lesser known one that is all flat is to hike to Soapstone lake, this is only my second mention of it because it is one of my favorite places in the world, and I don't want to tell people LOL, if you go to the forestry dept of Oregon though they have info on it.

The coast is amazing here, I am partial to the NW part simply because I have always lived here. If you want more rec's just ask!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
10. Re: Texans want to experience Oregon Coast!

As others have said, we can be more helpful if we know, when, budget, and maybe some travel-style preferences. 4 - 5 nights from San Francisco up the California and Oregon coast means you'll probably be on the move every day. If you like that idea, okay, but I have to be in a place for a while before I begin to "experience" it. So, you might consider going only as far up the coast as Newport before heading inland to Portland.

Yes, half-Brit, that repeated interruption during dinner at Stephanie Inn is more annoying than anything else.