We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Painted Hills - Suggestions on Camping

PDX
10 posts
Painted Hills - Suggestions on Camping

We are planning a short trip (3-4 days) in July from Portland to see the Painted Hills in the John Day area. This will be our first time in this area.

I'd welcome any suggestions for places to camp close to this area. Ideally our drive to this area from the the camping spot will be short, though I do know that there are no campgrounds close by.

Any good campgrounds or close-by towns that your recommend?

Thanks!

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,087 posts
19 reviews
1. Re: Painted Hills - Suggestions on Camping

Clyde Holiday State Park is near John Day.

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_11.php

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,773 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Painted Hills - Suggestions on Camping

Assume you are going to go to Sheep Rock unit as well? If so the really only camping spot in the area is Clyde Holiday SP between Dayville and John Day. As you know there really arent many camping spots around this area. But it doesnt really matter because the scenery is so lovely you wont mind driving back and forth.

If you are just going to Painted hills there might be some options in the Ochoco National Forest.

A few options near Spray are Spray River Front Park- a city park or CornCob Ranch(well its a horse ranch, but I'm sure they would welcome you) but still not any closer than Clyde Holiday SP to Painted Hills. I've never stayed at either, but heard good things about Corncob from my horse-y friends. I had a flat tire in Spray once, an the people there were so nice- trying to help me fix it- they wouldnt take any offerings, so I always have to swing by and buy something from the gas station/store when I go through... which unfortunetly isnt too often.

John Day is the only town that really has any sort of services or choices in restaurants, etc. All other towns have a gas station, small store and one resturant and thats about it.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,478 posts
1,111 reviews
3. Re: Painted Hills - Suggestions on Camping

Here is a very small RV park -- yes they do have a tent camping area -- located in the teeny town of Dayville. I'ts very pretty and much closer than John Day, and you won't feel like you're in an RV park since they only have 6 RV sites, well spaced. However, it's not rustic camping out in the woods.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g51835-d8111…

http://www.fishhouseinn.com/rvpark.html

If you want to be closer to Prineville and in the woods... forestcamping.com/dow/pacficnw/ochinfo.htm

PDX
10 posts
4. Re: Painted Hills - Suggestions on Camping

Thanks all for the suggestions, much appreciated! Tonight we'll pull out our map and figure out which location will work best. I'm really looking forward to this trip!

5. Re: Painted Hills - Suggestions on Camping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2011, 01:16