We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon - no sales tax?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,141 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Oregon - no sales tax?

I have read that in Oregon no sales tax is added to the purchase of goods or services. Does that mean that there is actually no tax i.e. goods should be cheaper there than, say CA, or that the tax is already incorporated into the price of goods? I guess what I'm really asking is : Is it cheaper to shop in Oregon than other States?

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Mt Hood Day Trip from Portland to...
121 Reviews
from US$100.00*
Free Cancellation
Willamette Valley Wine-Tasting Tour...
64 Reviews
from US$100.00*
Free Cancellation
Oregon Coast Day Trip: Cannon Beach...
148 Reviews
from US$100.00*
Free Cancellation
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,590 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oregon - no sales tax?

There is no sales tax on goods purchased in Oregon and, therefore, things may be cheaper than in California. Of course, there are sales and there are sales, so it's still wise to know the comparative costs of things you might be buying. Generally, our family members from California love to shop at the stores here.

There are some limitations, however. To buy a vehicle (car, motor home, etc.) you need to prove your residency in Oregon. Some people were buying $600,000 motor coaches and trying to save the sales tax they'd have to pay in their home states. Oregon said that's a no no.

You will find taxes added to your hotel rates here, varying a bit city by city...but they're not "state sales taxes."

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
California
California
United States
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,141 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oregon - no sales tax?

Good to know - thanks for clearing it up! I'm there for a week so am more likely to be buying a pair of hiking boots that a motor home!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,185 posts
1,101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oregon - no sales tax?

True, Oregon has no sales tax, so if you buy a $100 pair of shoes, it will cost $100, not $109 +/- as it would in California. And other than in two towns in Oregon (one of them is Yachats on the coast), there is no tax on restaurant meals either.

However, as o'poppa pointed out, you'll still pay "room tax" on lodging, which as a general figure is about 10% on top of the quoted room price. I don't think Oregon has any cities that are as expensive as San Francisco, though, where the lodging tax is something atrocious like 17% I believe (read it on the forums, LOL).

Overall prices may be lower in some areas in California, due to greater population and more competition amongst retailers.

Oh, if you plan to buy hard liquor - anything other than beer and wine - you'll find Calif prices are *far* less because it's not as tightly controlled as Oregon. Grocery stores sell liquor there; here it's sold only in liquor stores.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
California
California
United States
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,141 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oregon - no sales tax?

Thanks for that. We are strictly wine drinkers - in moderation of course! Can't wait to try out some of the local vintages.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oregon - no sales tax?

I recommend a trip to the Apple store.

Food products are especially good value: berry jams, hazelnuts, local cheeses and chocolates at reasonable prices without sales tax.

Hotel tax in San Francisco is 14%. Unfortunately our sales tax is close to 10%.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oregon - no sales tax?

The other city with meals tax is Ashland, I think it's around 5%. It really isn't an issue because the restaurants are still competitive. Don't buy gas in Ashland if you are going north. The only reasonably priced station is the ARCO at the I-5 milemarker 14.

As far as shopping goes, people from surrounding states shop in Oregon. Our Costco in Medford fills up with California plates on weekends. Oregon has a state income tax, and keeps voting down a sales tax. I think the other state that has no sales tax is Rhode Island.

Mentioned in this post
Ashland
Ashland
Oregon
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Medford
Medford
Oregon
California
California
United States
Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Oregon - no sales tax?

does anyone know if there are special requirements to buy engagement rings in oregon? I'm thinking about something that's 10-15K, I guess I could almost save 1000 just on taxes?

it seems too good to be true.. can anyone give some insight? Thanks a lot!

Edited: 29 April 2011, 10:37
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oregon - no sales tax?

Other than what has been previously stated in regards to motor vehicles, and other taxes, there are no "special requirements". You don't have to show any proof of residency or anything else to buy jewelry here.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,590 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oregon - no sales tax?

…canoe.ca/money/…20110426-103054.html

Here's a very recent article on the subject, with some helpful advice on sales taxes for non-residents in nearby states as well.

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Oregon - no sales tax?

Great! I know someone said things might be cheaper in california, but as far as the price goes in oregon, is there a SIGNIFICANT markup for jewelry due to the lack of tax?

Thanks again.