We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - girls go on vacation

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - girls go on vacation

Did a nice, week long road trip with my 13yo daughter for the holiday week. Thought I'd share our itinerary...

Day 1: Drove from Bend to Medford. Stayed in AirBnB in Central Point. Spent the afternoon wandering around Ashland - a lot has changed since my last trip there, lots of shop closures. Quick bite at Greenleaf Restaurant (good!). Watched the Green Show (OK). Saw "The Very Merry Wives of Windsor, IA" (good!). My daughter loved the play, it was a very good "first Shakespeare" (she's been to plays at OSF before, but never a Shakespeare play).

Day 2: Visited family in the morning and for lunch. In the afternoon we went to Lillie Belle Chocolates (good) and Rogue Creamery (very good) in Central Point. We were disappointed they weren't making cheese that day but the samples were terrific. Went to the mall (bleah) then quickly moved on to Harry & David (good). My daughter wanted to go to Toys R Us (there isn't one in Bend) so we stopped there too. We cooked dinner and had a "movie night in" at the AirBnB.

Day 3: Drove from Medford to Waldport. Stopped at Heaven On Earth for a ginormous cinnamon roll. Stopped to look at the Elk Preserve near Reedsport. Stayed at McKinley's RV & Marina in Waldport (tent area). Met up with some friends for dinner at their "cabin", played on the beach and watched the Waldport fireworks show (July 3).

Day 4: Went to La De Da in Yachats. Got coffee at Green Salmon (hipster sightings!). Enjoyed the craft fairs. Ate pie at the pie social. Watched the parade. Visited the candy shop. Headed back towards Waldport, stopping at Gov Patterson Park. Stayed there for a few hours, playing in the surf and flying kites. Dinner at Grand Central (good!) the back to the same beach for the sunset.

Day 5: Drove from Waldport to Salem. Stopped in Newport to visit the Mark Hatfield Science Center - loved it as usual. When we pulled off the highway my daughter spotted Aquarium Village and she begged me to stop there so we did. It was... terrifying. Very sketchy.

Went down to the Bayfront because my daughter begged me to go to Ripley's. Fortunately she lost her nerve before paying, and we didn't have to actually go in BUT we did walk up and down the Bayfront. Reminds me that I really dislike that area. Not clean, not fun, not family-friendly.

Lunch at Arctic Circle (good). Continued up to LC and stopped at Read's to stock up on our favorite sweet treats (taffy, stick candy, seafoam). Then on to family in Salem. We went to a Volcanoes baseball game in Keizer - very long game because they introduced 4-5 vets between each inning and had to tell their whole life story. I get it, and I am proud and thankful for our vets but seems like they could just pick 1-2 to focus on each game, it was too many and people were "zoning out". :-( The "Candy Boys" did come and serenade us, they are very sweet and entertaining. We left during the 8th inning because it was so late.

Day 6: My 16yo son had the day off from his camp job in Salem so he joined us for the drive up to Portland. We met friends for lunch in the Sellwood area (Zenbu: good!), then went to Oaks Park with "the cousins". The teens all had a great time at the park, it was a nice day and the park was not crowded. Game operators were mostly very friendly and the kids walked away with arm loads of souvenirs to share with their friends. Had pizza at "Mean Streets" (good) and stayed the night with family in West Linn.

Day 7: Drove back to Salem to drop off my son and lunched with family at McGrath's (OK). Drove home to Bend over Santiam Pass without a single stop, made it home before 4pm.

After 850 miles we were tired but relaxed. It was a great mother-daughter trip. Our favorite memories will probably be the play in Ashland, playing on the beach near Waldport, La De Da in Yachats, and Oaks Park in Portland.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,419 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - girls go on vacation

Nice thorough report. Thanks for sharing. Glad you and your daughter enjoyed it. It will be a good memory she will remember and share later.

MrsO

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - girls go on vacation

Thanks MrsO. I forgot to mention that on Day 1 we stopped for lunch at Phil's Frosty. Because we HAVE to stop there if we drive past and they are open. LOL...

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,426 posts
1,108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - girls go on vacation

Thanks for your great trip report and how nice to have that time with your daughter :-)

>> we did walk up and down the Bayfront. Reminds me that I really dislike that area. Not clean, not fun, not family-friendly.<<

Hmmm, it is first and foremost a real working bayfront, but I have never heard it described like that. Curious why you think it's not family friendly?

>> Aquarium Village and she begged me to stop there so we did. It was... terrifying. Very sketchy.<<

?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - girls go on vacation

Thanks, half-brit. :-)

Bayfront: The smell is the smell and I "get" that. As for the rest - it's expensive, there was trash everywhere, and all the little gift shops are full of "glassware" and gifts with sexual innuendo. I'm not a prude but my daughter was looking for a gift for a friend and I wasn't comfortable with many of the options.

Aquarium Village: Looks like a gift shop on the outside, but it's a flea market. Which is fine if that's what you are expecting... but when you put up a facade like that it attracts kids & teens, so it doesn't really match up to expectations. The "village" part looks like a lot of shipping containers lined up with shops inside. My daughters comment in one of the shops was "it looks like they haven't unpacked yet". So... sketchy. That said: I've heard good things about the yarn store in there, but they were closed.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,806 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - girls go on vacation

Road trips with kids are a lot of fun, IMO, and I loved reading about yours. We do the same thing, meeting up with family along the way and I really like that. Your report made me smile:)

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,419 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - girls go on vacation

I hear that. Love frosties and swirled cones we get at Multnomah

Falls. I guess that is the kid in me.

MrsO

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - girls go on vacation

Thanks, Mtngirl. It was really nice to have a great trip with her, and not negotiate with our other family members so we could focus on what she & I decided to do. She's the "baby" so she doesn't get that very often!

Level Contributor
38,840 posts
1,013 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - girls go on vacation

Sounds like you had a great time! I enjoyed reading about your trip. :)

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - girls go on vacation

Thanks, syrahgirl. I'd love to read about your trip, sounds like it was great! Are you going to post a trip report?

10. Re: Trip Report - girls go on vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2013, 01:15