We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need feedback on days needed for this possible itinerary

Florida
Level Contributor
72 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Need feedback on days needed for this possible itinerary

My husband and I are leaving Bremerton Sunday Sept 9 to drive down the Coast. Google Maps has us in Astoria in 3 1/2 hours (morning drive)

From there I'd like to drive down to Reedsport with the following "penciled in" stops. Note: We like to drive and see new views, love harbors and boats and the ocean - not too much for poking around stores or towns. Tidepools, Sea Lions and Dune buggie rides and the like interest me most.

Comments welcome ... and insert recommendations at will.

Cannon Beach - Cause everyone seems to say to go there

Newport for Mo's seafood

Yachats - for tidal pools

Cape Perpetua for Devil's Churn

Sea Lion Cave - self explanatory

Florence - Dune Buggies

If we're in Astoria at noon Sunday, what morning would we reserve Dune Buggies for as we plan to drive that afternoon to Portland to fly out the next day. I'm not sure if Tuesday or Wednesday would be it.

Also, as it's a vacation I like a reasonable hotel and would be willing to pay for a 'destination/resort'' hotel here or there if it was really a neat place to visit. If not, any of the mid price chains would do. Recommendations for that as well are welcome.

Have I missed something I should have asked?

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,582 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need feedback on days needed for this possible itinerary

There is so much to see along the Oregon Coast, I would say, Wednesday for Dune Buggys and heading back to Portland. Not sure you will need reservations, since school will have started most places and things tend to slow down at the beach after Labor Day.

Driving from Bremerton to Astoria in 3 1/2 hours on the coast route would be really pushing-it, I think. Take a look at the big paper map--from Bremerton you have two choices--you can go south on Hwy 16, cross the Narrows Bridge to Tacoma and continue south on I-5 to Kelso where you would take Hwy 432 to the bridge to Rainier OR and go west along the Columbia River on Hwy 30 to Astoria. (All 4-6 lane hwys except the 45 mile portion between Rainier and Astoria)

To drive the coastal route (which is mostly inland and you will see very little of the ocean) you must cut across to Shelton, then west to Aberdeen and south to Astoria. Except for the section between Shelton and Aberdeen, it is all 2 lane highway.

Cannon Beach pretty--nice beach and Haystack Rock, but lots of little shops. Ecola State Park nearby is worth a stop.

You don't have to go to Newport to eat at Mo's. They have restaurants in several towns along the coast, including Cannon Beach.

Yachats and Cape Perpetua--good. Skip the Sea Lion Caves '"phew"! You can see the sea lions for free on the docks at Astoria and Newport.

I like the Overleaf Lodge at Yachats. Although there are a number of nice places at Cannon Beach, Newport and Manzanita.

A couple of lighthouses at Newport are usually open to visitors, Yaquina Bay and Yaquina Head.

Florida
Level Contributor
72 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need feedback on days needed for this possible itinerary

Thankyou for your information.

I'll pick up a big map and go carefully over it but I was thinking to do a straight shot from Bremerton to Astoria via Tacoma/Kelso/Rainier then Hwy 30 to Astoria. Googlemap has it at 3.5hours but I'll add more on for good measure.

As my husband is the kind of guy who likes to drive to destinations and glance out of the window from time to time, I have to take this into consideration and have worked out a compromise.

I'm thinking to stay Cannon Beach Sunday night and then drive to Overleaf Lodge (looks great!) Monday night.

Tuesday morning drive to Sandland dune buggies and then swing up to Portland ready to fly out Wednesday.

Do you have a personal recommendation for waterfront/view hotel in Cannon Beach?

Good point about the Sea Lion Caves.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,582 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need feedback on days needed for this possible itinerary

If you go the Tacoma/Kelso/Rainier route, 3.5 hours should be about right. It takes us about 2 1/2 hrs to drive to Bremerton from here in Longview and we are less than an hour from Astoria.

I think you will like the Overleaf Lodge. The Drift Inn in the town of Yachats is a good place for dinner. Very popular with the locals. Usually have pleasant live music. Have the folks at the Overleaf give you directions--it's right on the main street, but if it's dark it is hard to spot.

Really can't give you any recommendations for Cannon Beach, it's been so many years since we have stayed there (It's only an hour and a half from home)

Stephanie Inn always gets rave reviews, but it's out of my price range. The Lumberyard Restaurant and Ecola Seafoods are good places to eat. Also Dooger's and the Wayfarer Inn.

Edited: 15 July 2012, 17:32
Florida
Level Contributor
72 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need feedback on days needed for this possible itinerary

Was looking at the Stephanie .... and calculating some Hotels.com $$ I've accumulated to help with the cost. Many thanks for your help.

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,303 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need feedback on days needed for this possible itinerary

We have eaten at both the Drift Inn and the Adobe in Yachats (the Overleaf has no dining facilities). The Adobe is, to the best of my knowledge, the only white-tablecloth/cloth napkin place in town with a great view. The Drift Inn has no view.

6. Re: Need feedback on days needed for this possible itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2013, 14:17