We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wallowa to Eugene

Missouri USA
Level Contributor
440 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Wallowa to Eugene

DH and I have a family reunion at Wallowa at the beginning of Aug. Afterwards, we will be heading to Eugene to see an old friend. We could go to Portland, spend the night and then down to Eugene, or I am considering going through Baker City, Redmond and on to Eugene. We would stop for the night somewhere along that route also.

Any comments about the Baker City/Redmond/Eugene route? We have driven along the Columbia River before, so I was thinking of other routes.

Thanks.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wallowa to Eugene

Where are you going from Eugene? Some how suggest you see Columbia R Gorge from Portland to Hood River. if you have not already. If you have seen Gorge, Baker City to John Day to Bend great idea

Edited: 15 July 2012, 01:27
Missouri USA
Level Contributor
440 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wallowa to Eugene

We have seen the Columbia River Gorge already.

From Eugene, will be heading up the coast to fly out of SeaTac.

Also, if anyone could suggest a nice motel/hotel to spend the night that is in the $50-85 range, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wallowa to Eugene

A couple summers ago we went to Joseph, Oregon and came back to the Willamette Valley via Prineville. Took Hwy 395 to Hwy 26 - a great drive. Unless there's a reason to go to Baker City, you are only adding miles to the trip to go that way.

We spent the night in Prineville. Stayed at the Best Western, which was just fine - clean, quiet and reasonably priced, tho maybe not quite as inexpensive as you want. Ate dinner at Barney Prine's Steakhouse, which we really enjoyed - would highly recommend.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,070 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wallowa to Eugene

It's been about 10 years, but we drove this exact route on our way from Yellowstone to Bend one July, after spending the night in Baker City. I thought it was one of the most scenic drives I've ever taken. I LOVED the Strawberry Mts, Prarie City, Prineville and especially Dayville, as we happened upon their 4th of July Parade and actually ended up in it!!

We took a short side trip to Sumptner as well, took a ride on the narrow guage railroad and toured Sumptner Dredge State Park.

Missouri USA
Level Contributor
440 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wallowa to Eugene

Oh THANK YOU, dengay, for pointing out the Sumpter Valley Railroad!!!!!!

Ok. Plans are getting made. Since we WILL stop for to ride the railroad and maybe a look around the Dredge Historical Site (DH is a mining historian), we will probably only get as far as Mount Vernon/Canyon City on the first day. So any recommendations of motels would be appreciated. I suppose B&Bs would be out of our price range of $50-85, but if anyone knows of any, we will consider it.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wallowa to Eugene

We lived in John Day for 5 years, so I was ready to make another pitch to make sure you drive along the Strawberry Mtns and through John Day. but guess you have decided. Good

John Day has 2 or 3 motels that are good. That is your best bet.

Not sure what you may be thinking about the John Day Fossil Beds. At least go down OR-19 a couple miles to see Sheep Rock and the Visitor Center. Painted Hills would take some time

Edited: 15 July 2012, 13:56
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,350 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wallowa to Eugene

Not sure if this will work into your schedule, but Dayville has the Fish House Inn in your price range. We've stayed there in the small RV section and I looked in several rooms - everything looks just like the photos!

http://www.fishhouseinn.com/roomsrates.html

Sheep Rock Paleontology Center is an interesting place to visit, well worth a stop, as well as Painted Hills.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,179 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wallowa to Eugene

Half-Brit that is a great place. I called and the rates are the same as they were in 2009. $25 a night. Thanks.

MrsO

9. Re: Wallowa to Eugene

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2013, 05:17