We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2012 Summer in RI advice...

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
2012 Summer in RI advice...

I'm a native RIer and if you're planning a trip here this summer, 2012, here are a few things you should know.

If looking for summer rentals in East Matunuck/Jerusalem/Snug Harbor, be aware that the facilities at East Matunuck Beach are currently under construction, and summer 2012 the facilities consist of Port-a-johns. In addition the parking lot is greatly reduced. Construction is excpected to be completed in fall 2012.

WaterFire is having a GREAT year scheduling sponsors. The best lightings are ALWAYS those that have ballroom events scheduled. This year early here in March we already have many scheduled. Usually in May we don't... so take a look at what we have so far in planning your trip

waterfire.org/season-schedule/2012-waterfire…

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 2012 Summer in RI advice...

Has there been a change to the estimated completion date for the new East Matunuck Pavilion? As of February, they original completion date for the end of May/first week of June was still on track. I was down there yesterday and the new pavilion is looking really nice.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2012 Summer in RI advice...

Mimilou, I tried to search the answer online, but was unsuccessful. A friend of mine summers there and she was the one who told me the completion date was October. I hope you're right! It seems crazy to spend all summer with half a parking lot and a bunch of port-a-johns.

I did discover, however, that RI beaches go smoke-free this summer. Good news as far as I'm concerned. Visitors... decide for themselves.

Central Mass.
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2012 Summer in RI advice...

This will be good info to know when you get further confirmation. My family stayed just up the road from this beach a couple of years ago on Gooseberry Road in Snug Harbor. LOVED the beach, and it will be even better with the pavilion!

We were thinking of going back to the area this summer for a few days or a week, but maybe we'll look to another beach if Matunuck is not ready?

What other beaches near there have facilities?

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 2012 Summer in RI advice...

The contracting company who is constructing the pavilion is maintaining that the new pavilion is going to be open this June. If the pavilion at East Matunuck is not ready when you come, there are other choices in the area. South Kingstown town beach is about 5 minutes away, off Matunuck Beach Road. Salty Brine Beach (a state beach, like East Matunuck) is in Narragansett; it is on the other side of the harbor of refuge from East Matunuck...you can see it from E. Matunuck. To actually drive there will take you about 10 minutes. Sand Hill Cove (Roger Wheeler Beach) is another state beach that is next to Salty Brine beach and is also inside the harbor of refuge so it has very gentle surf. Also in Narragansett is Scarborough state beach, which has larger waves, and Narragansett Town Beach. All beaches listed above have facilities.

Edited: 06 April 2012, 13:05
Central Mass.
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2012 Summer in RI advice...

thanks for the update mimilou!

6. Re: 2012 Summer in RI advice...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 04:16