We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bear camp cabin rental and realty - concern

1 post
Save Topic
Bear camp cabin rental and realty - concern

The cabin we booked at bear camp cabin rentals looked great from the outside, but I have no idea how it looks on the inside. I could not get in the cabin using the key pad. I was told the battery was dead and no one could fix it. I had to travel back down the steep mountain and into town to retrieve another key. The manager was so unprofessional and rude, I honestly did not feel safe in the cabin any longer. I was given no compensation. Only rudeness. I ended up leaving with no refund and a miserable start to vacation. They may have great cabins but the business is terrible. Please do not fall for this nightmare like I did. I can only recommend that vacationers stay AWAY from this business.

Chambersburg...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Bear camp cabin rental and realty - concern

Avoid BCCR

Initially, outwardly, structurally, the “Bearly Mine” (a.k.a. “Barely Mine”) cabin seemed very nice. Our first devastating discovery was preparing for bed. We pulled the covers back and, yes, the bed had been slept in as evidenced by the creases and particles and pubic hairs left by the previous sleeper.

There was also a partial boot print on one of the pillow cases. We were horrified. We stripped the bed, delayed our bedtime, and did laundry instead. Naturally, it was after “business hours” at the rental agency, and probably this situation would not qualify as requiring immediate attention as an emergency.

The bedroom bathroom toilet seat was broken and slid to one side.

The stench of stale, dried urine reeked from the floors of both bathrooms. We cleaned as best we could with the products we had brought.

The washing machine “load-size” knob was broken—Fortunately, I had brought some of my tools, and we used my pliers the rest of our stay to turn that knob.

A light bulb in the great room chandelier was out.

The light on the stairway to the loft was out.

Either dirt was deliberately swept under the chair or it had accumulated through time and inattention. We emptied the dirt that was in the vacuum cleaner and started again vacuuming all the rugs and carpets in the cabin. I have saved the collected dirt, should it become necessary to show someone the evidence. It completely filled the plastic container.

The bedroom door to the back deck does not latch properly. It is out of alignment. The lock does keep the door shut, but I don’t always want to have to lock the door to keep it shut.

The great room and loft windows do not shut all the way and therefore cannot be locked. I exerted all my strength to push up and down, but to no avail. The loft window stays open!

The gas grill was coated with past food particles, ashes, filth. We did not attempt to clean this and notified the cabin rental agency of its condition. The steak we intended to grill ended up going to the dogs. At least they were happy. I assure you, we were not.

The plastic shower curtain liner was discolored, orange/brown, and slimy. It had to be weeks, if not months of neglect. My wife removed it and laundered it with our cleaning products. That’s all it took. It was as good as new. Where’s the maintenance?

The washing machine and dryer had accumulated crud and dirt from prior users. We cleaned it.

The bedroom telephone was filthy—visible grime and dirt caked on over time. My wife used our products and time to cleanse and sanitize the telephone.

There are no screens on any window or on two of the doors. Seems a shame to shut out all that wonderful Smokey Mountain fresh air. Or let it in and invite the bugs as well.

The pool table has a broken pocket so when a ball goes into it, the ball also goes on the floor and players scurry to find it before someone slips on it and falls down the stairs. This I would think would be treated as a significant liability exposure.

“Game” room. Well, there is a table and two chairs intended for an outside patio weighing enormous pounds socked into the corner under the slanted roof. Can’t budge the furniture, can’t sit on chair without banging head on ceiling. Games? Many game pieces missing.

Dirty, greasy dishes in the cupboard. Yes, IN the cupboard. We washed in dishwasher. But wasn’t that supposed to be done already?

Internet connection failed. I tried the password listed in the “guest information” and on the refrigerator. Wouldn’t connect. Since I had planned to make final arrangements for our activities from the internet upon arrival in Pigeon Forge, this was a handicap. I called Bear Camp Cabin Rentals. The representative helped as best he could by suggesting I “unplug” the connection. I tried this twice. No help. I called him back with the report. He said the owner was an international airplane pilot and was probably away. He would have a service person come out and take a look. The service person arrived the next evening. He contacted the service provider and attempted to follow their instructions (a service update had been sent and required unplugging and replugging the connection!!) But, the connection was behind a locked box such as those used to cover and secure thermostats. The service person said apparently the key was not in the cabin or at the cabin rental agency office. He said the owner lived out of state, but he would have her “overnight” the key, and I would have internet service at least within 48 hours. I NEVER HEARD FROM HIM AGAIN.

Mold, fungus, mildew under bathmats in both bathrooms. We cleaned, scrubbed, sanitized with our own products we had brought.

The futon is broken with one of the upper connectors not connecting. This allows the pin to jump out of the runner slot, allowing the whole piece to collapse dangerously.

The kitchen table leg had been broken and repaired with what appears to be “Monster Glue” and remains wobbly. We stuck the leg upright and tried to avoid damaging it further.

The cabin description says “You can easily SLEEP 6 in comfort.” Unless those people also want to eat. The “Fully equipped kitchen” had TWO (2) table knives and ONE (1) teaspoon. And this is after the supposed inspection and inventory after each guest.

The television in the great room sits on the mantel behind a ledger board which blocks the signal for volume from the remote control unless you stand up from the couch or stretch full arm’s length. What an inconvenience when you’re trying to relax.

The “Policies and Procedures” indicate that upon arriving we should “inspect the unit and report any problems within 1 hour.” We didn’t discover pubic hairs until bedtime. We didn’t discover mold, mildew, fungus on the bathmats until we kept searching for the bathroom stench. Anyway, we would have had ongoing calls, twenty some, if we were supposed to do the cabin rental agency’s job of inspecting the property. During the call about the internet to the Bear Camp Cabin Rentals representative, I also mentioned some of the items listed above. He said things like, “That should have been checked.” I said, “I want some compensation for my work.” He chuckled. I said, “I’m serious.” He said, “I know.” He said he would pass the information on. I NEVER HEARD FROM HIM OR ANYONE AT THE RENTAL AGENCY AGAIN. So much for making “every effort to correct any deficiencies as soon as possible during regular business hours.”

My wife and I were expecting to celebrate our 29th anniversary at a cozy, comfortable cabin in the Smokey Mountains. We have rented cabins sight unseen many times including those at Cape Hatteras, Maine, West Virginia, Alabama, Virginia Beach, Myrtle Beach, Lake Huron, Lake Ontario, Georgian Bay, even in some underdeveloped, third-world countries such as Montserrat in the Caribbean and Taveuni in Fiji. We have NEVER EVER experienced the nearly complete and total neglect of a property for rent by a rental agency as we have with BEAR CAMP CABIN RENTALS.

2. Re: Bear camp cabin rental and realty - concern

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2013, 05:23