We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to visit in virginia

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
171 posts
119 reviews
Places to visit in virginia

We are planning a trip this fall flying into BWI and making a circle down to virginia Beach and the up through Chincoteague Island and up to Analpolis. I would like recommendations on places to visit between Baltimore and Virginia Beach. (We are by passing DC since we have visited there before)

New Bern, North...
Level Contributor
257 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: Places to visit in virginia

What types of places are you looking for?

You could go the I 64 to I 95 route and go to Colonial Willamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown.

Another option is travel along the Chesapeak Bay and visit several of the little towns along that route.

Just depends on what you are looking for.

Sebring, Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Places to visit in virginia

We just returned from a trip to Ocean City, Md, on to Cape Charles, at the most southern tip, to Chincoteague. Please visit The Spinning Wheel Bed and Breakfast.. Thom makes the best breakfast anywhere !!!!!

The town is great to look around in.. lots of quaint old shopes.. the Warf is a great place to have fun and dine.

We also went to Onancock... the VERY BEST cream sticks in the world are found there at the Corner Bakery !!!!!!!!!!!

But.. the most fun was on Tangier Island. I could go on and on about it.. but it is a matter of opion. You either love it. or don't like it. We have been there 2 times, and that is the place I want to retire to !! Lots of 3rd and 4th generation crabbers there... that is how they make a living.. waterman.. go out at 4 in the morning to fill their crab pots.

We met friends there last year, that have become best friends already. YOu really have nothing to do except vacation !!! There are only about 3 B&b's 3 restrurants (The Chesapeake House) and 1 grocery. All you do all day long is either walk, rent a golf cart, or bicycle all over the island... 3 1/2 miles long by 1 1/2 mile wide.. about 6oo residents. If you have young kids, they would be bored.. but I find it to be the best place ever.

If you go .... Tell the mayor Ooker, that I said hi.

I hope you have nice weather like we did the whole 17 days we were gone... one of my best vacations yet.

Shirley in Ohio

Virginia
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
3. Re: Places to visit in virginia

I'd suggest stopping a few nights in Newport News and visiting Colonial Williamsburg, Newport News and the Yorktown waterfront. Depending upon your interest, there is history, ships, beautiful parks, animal adventures, and more! This region of Virginia is loaded with things to do. Newport News is central so you can visit a number of cities that surround like Williamsburg, Hampton, Norfolk, Smithfield, ect. In 20 minutes, you can be in any one place.

Top attractions in the region:

The Marners' Museum

Virginia Living Museum

Virginia Air & Space

Colonial Williamsburg

Jamestown Settlement

Yorktown waterfront

Newport News Park

Nauticus then take a ferry over to Portsmouth

American Rover

Stop in at the Newport News Visitor Center I64 exit 250B or call 888-493-7386.

Happy traveling!

mechanicsville...
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Places to visit in virginia

Hi -

Have done some touring around Richmond, Virginia.

Just outside of Ashland (20 miles north of Richmond) is Patrick Henry's home "Scotchtown". In the county seat of Hanover County is "Hanover Tavern" where Henry tended bar while married to the proprietor's daughter.(The best crab cakes we have ever had are at the "Houndstooth Cafe" near the courthouse.) Across the street is the original courthouse where Henry presented the "Parson's Cause" case against the British crown - the beginning of his famous career as an orator. In Richmond is the Episcopal church where he gave his famous "Give me liberty or give me death" speech. They have re-enactors present it on Sunday afternoons in the summer. Very moving. If you are interested in Civil War stuff, a neat battlefield is outside of Mechanicsville, Va. known as "the battle of Cold Harbor" which was as bloody as Gettysburg.

There are free tours of the Virginia Capitol (takes about an hour). Within walking distance of it is the home of Jefferson Davis while he was president of the Confederacy and also the home of the first Chief Justice of the US John Marshall, and the museum of the Confederacy. (The last three charge admission)

There is also a museum of the Civil War in Richmond, but I have not been to it.

Hope some of this helps!

By the way, if you end up touring Jamestown and Yorktown, be sure to buy both passes at once and save a few $$.

5. Re: Places to visit in virginia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 19:20