We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I-81 road trip

Washington...
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
I-81 road trip

My boyfriend and I are driving down I-81 to visit some friends in NC. I would like to make it fun along the way. Any suggestions? We are mid-thirties open to various things and love to eat.

Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: I-81 road trip

I like your idea of trying to make a road trip fun.

How far south are you going on I-81 and how many days do you have to make the drive? What time of year will you be making the drive?

Are you just looking for a lunch stop on a one day trip or looking for overnight suggestions?

Are you looking for alternate routes to I-81 for part of the drive or looking to see which exits are more interesting than others?

I am sorry for answering your question with more questions. You'll get more answers and better answers if you can narrow it down a little bit.

Charlottesville, VA
Level Contributor
132 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I-81 road trip

In Staunton, the Frontier Culture Museum is cool. A little further down you can stop at Natural Bridge.

Can't think of any can't miss meals, but hopefully some others can chime in.

Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
386 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I-81 road trip

Cristina's Cafe in Strasburg is worth a stop for a meal on your way through. http://cristinascafe.net

Across the street is a more typical diner style joint called "Hi Neighbor" and while it doesn't look like much, they serve a mean monte cristo! Good solid fare for a good price.

Washington...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: I-81 road trip

Thank you for responding! We will be coming from the DC area and going all the way to NC, where we will spend the night. Google maps is telling me the drive will take about 6 hours so I am looking for a good lunch break and maybe one more thing to break up the afternoon. Would love to get some good bbq or local farm to table type food.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,158 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I-81 road trip

If you'd like to see a free, funky roadside attraction along the way, stop at Foamhenge.

www.monstersanddinosaurs.com/FoamHenge.html

Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
386 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I-81 road trip

Possible lunch stop... tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g58333-d23…

If you're heading out 66 to 81 you'll be about 2 hours from Woodstock, depending on where exactly in DC you are.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
314 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I-81 road trip

FoamHenge is a hoot! We met the artist at the diner nearby!

Lexington, VA is a darling college town (Washington & Lee and Virginia Military Institute) right off I81 with some civil war history. Cute downtown with shops and restaurants.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,602 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I-81 road trip

Look into the Route 11 Chip Factory. Dill, Chesapeake Crab...and I see on t heir fb page they just added Chocolate Covered. http://www.rt11.com/

9. Re: I-81 road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2014, 00:19