We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Osoyoos BC to Leavenworth via the Scablands

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Osoyoos BC to Leavenworth via the Scablands

We're doing a five day trip at the end of May starting in Vancouver then staying in Osoyoos for a night before a couple of nights in Leavenworth then a final night in Seattle.

We were watching TV yesterday and saw a feature about the Scablands and figured since it was close enough it would be worth a detour. At the moment our route goes from the border to Omak then to Grand Coulee to Sun Lakes then finally through Palisades to Leavenworth. Is this the best route?

On the way to Seattle from Leavenworth is it a more interesting drive if we go all the way on the 2 or if we take the 97 to drop down to the 90.

Thanks for the help.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Osoyoos
Osoyoos
Okanagan Valley, Canada
Leavenworth
Leavenworth
Washington
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Omak
Omak
Washington
Grand Coulee
Grand Coulee
Washington
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,213 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Osoyoos BC to Leavenworth via the Scablands

I think the coulee country is fabulous. Your route ought to be fine - be sure to stop at the Dry Falls/Sun Lakes parks area.

As for the US 97 v. US 2, kind of a push - the Blewett Pass road (US 97) is very pretty, but the US 2 summit area is much nicer than the I-90 summit. If you just need to get to Seattle that day, and after 2 days in Leavenworth (during which you could run up to Stevens Pass for an outing, also don't miss Lake Wenatchee) then I'd take US 97/I-90.

If it's the last weekend in May, don't forget it's Memorial Day weekend, so traffic will be up a little.

Mentioned in this post
Dry Falls
Dry Falls
92 Reviews
Coulee City, WA
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Leavenworth
Leavenworth
Washington
western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Osoyoos BC to Leavenworth via the Scablands

If you're looking for interesting scenery and little towns, stay off I-90. I'd pick US 2 over I 90.

Regarding traffic, the worst time on US2 westbound is on Sunday afternoon and evening. It is still doable, but better to choose a different time. Try to cross the pass in daylight, or you'll miss all the scenery!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Osoyoos BC to Leavenworth via the Scablands

Palisades? not sure where that is. Grand Coulee to Sun Lakes is interesting route, then on to Soap Lake and rt 28 to Wenatchee.

I prefer Stevens Pass though use I-90 when trying to make time

Mentioned in this post
Grand Coulee
Grand Coulee
Washington
Soap Lake
Soap Lake
Washington
Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Osoyoos BC to Leavenworth via the Scablands

I agree with phirl Stevens pass is more interesting then I-90.

North Cascades highway is by far the best of them all but may be a bit out of the way for you.

The scab lands start just west of Spokane and continue on for miles and miles. The whole flood scenario is just amazing and awesome.

Collie

Mentioned in this post
Spokane
Spokane
Washington
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from Osoyoos BC to Leavenworth via the Scablands

Collie my choice of words not good. That country is well beyond interesting, amazing much better. specially when you have read the history of the flood(s) that made the scablands or coulees, and they roared on through the Columbia R Gorge. To see those dry falls is truly amazing. we camped near one.

6. Re: Drive from Osoyoos BC to Leavenworth via the Scablands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 01:16
;