We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

roadtrip san francisco to seattle, 3 weeks in july-august

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
71 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
roadtrip san francisco to seattle, 3 weeks in july-august

Hello,

Me and my girlfriend are flying from belgium to San F the 22th of july. We wil be flying back from Seattle the 12th of august. This is our plan, do you think it is any good?

22-25 San Francisco

26SF to Humboldt Redwoods (already made a reservation)

27exploring some redwoods, arriving in the evening in Bandon

28exploring Bandon coast, sleeping in Eugene

29Eugene to Bend

30Bend and sleeping in Portland

31Portland

1aug. portland (day trip the columbia river gorge)

2 portland

3portland to Marblemouth (north cascades)(maybe via mount helens?)

4,5,6,7 north cascades

8 Leavensworh to Quinault area

9 Ruby beach

10 Rialto, Hoh, sleeping in olympia

11Start early to deliver rented car in Seattle at 10 am

12 Seattle

Please some advise, is this any good?

Thanks

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,892 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: roadtrip san francisco to seattle, 3 weeks in july-august

a few thoughts for you. When you leave SF you go thru some spectacular wine country so I'd give some thought to visiting some wineries. Hoping that you spend one day driving south from SF to see Monterey Bay and that area as well.

The oregon coast is spectacular so not sure why you don't want to drive the whole coast or at least the majority of it? While nothing wrong with Eugene it just seems like you've picked it just as a place to sleep. The area around Bend is Spectacular as well. Why not drive from Bend down to the Hood River area and spend the nite vs driving the Portland then backtracking to see the Gorge?

Overall its a good plan but I'd rethink the coast portion and Bend. Some regular Oregon posters most likely will post. Hopefully if you revise the itnerary after reading comments you will repost.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,941 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: roadtrip san francisco to seattle, 3 weeks in july-august

I agree with David, I'd not give up the Oregon coast for Eugene and Bend. Both fine towns, but the coast is heel mooi.

Additionally, Olympia after the Olympic National Park is a poor choice. Too far from Seattle. I see you need to return your rental car by 10. Maybe Gig Harbor or Tacoma would be better.

We had a wonderful time in Ghent last year.

Have fun,

chuck

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
8,788 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: roadtrip san francisco to seattle, 3 weeks in july-august

I agree skip Bend. You are going a long way from the Coast for a such a short visit to Bend. Also is there any reason you picked going all the way to the North cascades as opposed to Mt. Rainier. You are heading North and East and then heading South and West for Olympic. Not saying a bad plan, but you adding to already a lot of driving comming up the from Ca.. I personally would save the time for another day exploring the Redwoods and or Wine Country and the Olympic Penninsula. If you skipped the North Cascades and included Mt. Rainier, we could help you with a better itinerary for Olympic National Park. Righjt now your visit to Olympic is too short and does not make a lot of sense.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
71 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: roadtrip san francisco to seattle, 3 weeks in july-august

Thank you pala32 for writing those kind words about Ghent, nice city indeed... (no bears, only dangerous drunk people)

Well glaciermeadow, the reason for choosing north cascades...is the following: It looks less touristic than olympic or rainier, and I have no problem sharing beautiful sunsets etc. with 2, 3 4, 5 people...but not with 3O or 40. I have never been there, so maybe (probably) i am wrong, but reading between the lines of all the blogs and books that seems to be the general picture.. So, Am I Wrong assuming this?

Summarizing; You think we should skip Bend and the north cascades, and spend more time in Rainier and olympic....? or could we just skip Eugene, Bend and spend more time in olympic (really not too touristic?), or skip olympic etc.

Thank you for your patience

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
71 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: roadtrip san francisco to seattle, 3 weeks in july-august

to davidmg, it's our first Usa trip, and Eugene looks like a nice small city, not like san fr or seattle....and that's why...a provincial small scale, belgian like city in an american setting...with hopefully one nice pub....

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: roadtrip san francisco to seattle, 3 weeks in july-august

If OregonPoppa does not reply to your question about a pub, post that on the OR forum.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,941 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: roadtrip san francisco to seattle, 3 weeks in july-august

You're correct, Rainier will be more "crowded" but it won't be de Graslei on a sunny day. But if avoiding the crowds is a priority, place Rainier lowest of the 3 parks (a shame though it is a beautiful place). Olympic and North Cascades will be much less crowded, and then, really only in the parking lots and facilities.

From what you say about visiting Eugene, I'd include it back into your itinerary. It is certainly a unique city for America, well worth visiting for the experience. Lots of good beer and food. Bend, also a vibrant city, is too far out of the way. You could take I-5 north from Eugene and go back to the coast at Albany on HWY 20.

Goede reis,

chuck

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: roadtrip san francisco to seattle, 3 weeks in july-august

OR Coast: You really want to drive north to, and explore, that road and Newport, otherwise you'll miss some of the best, more spectacular, parts of the coast. With trails...

Portland: I'd cut my time to one day, drive to and spend a half day or so in the Columbia R. Gorge. More if you wish to hike some of the trails.

Road toward Seattle, an alternative: Continue east on the historic highway through the Gorge then take I-84 to see Bonneville Dam (huge, interesting grounds). Continue E. to the Bridge of the Gods, cross the Columbia R., go west on WA State Route 14, go north on I-205 to I-5 to visit Mt. St. Helens and/or Rainier National Park (very hard to do both in one day; you could see the former, then overnight near the latter, e.g., Ashford, WA). SR 14 is scenic and fast.

I understand your wish to see North Cascades NP. Yes, you will find more crowds at Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens, but a few miles hiking off the road, the crowd somewhat disperses.

Bend: I'd prefer the Bend area over Portland. Portland is another relatively big city and though nice, you'll have seen San Francisco and Seattle. Bend has much to see in the area. You could go to Bend (nice routes across the Cascades, e.g., SR 20 from Newport to Redmond, south to Bend), then drive your return to the Columbia R. Gorge via Bonneville Dam and the historic highway, and continue north as noted above.

Now, the reading material... :)

Oregon, Central/Bend Area

http://www.visitbend.com/

traveloregon.com/Explore-Oregon/Central-Oreg…

Oregon Coast

http://www.oregoncoasttravel.net/

Newport, OR

http://discovernewport.com/

www.aquarium.org

Yachats/Cape Perpetua

fs.fed.us/r6/…

Sister lodgings, Fireside Motel and Overleaf Lodge, both are on this website:

http://www.firesidemotel.com/Fireside_Motel/

Columbia River Gorge

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/columbia/

http://www.spectacularoregon.com/

Redwoods National Park

http://www.nps.gov/redw/

shannontech.com/ParkVision/…Redwood.html

Avenue of the Giants between Eureka and SF

www.avenueofthegiants.net

Edited: 29 March 2012, 21:06
Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
8,788 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: roadtrip san francisco to seattle, 3 weeks in july-august

Yes Rainier is more crowded than the NC. It is close to Seattle and Tacoma and easy to visit. All of of this does make Rainier mean more people. Bend is a great area, I personaly can not see driving all the way to Bend for such a short time. If you decide to include Olympic, yes you need moretime to experience it! Going from Leavenworth to Quinault is a long way to drive. It would make more sense to take the Edmonds Ferry and drive by way of Port Angeles. Then work your way south to Quinault. From Quinault you can get to wherever you want for your last night. Ideally I would spend at least 3 nights in Olympic National Park.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,832 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: roadtrip san francisco to seattle, 3 weeks in july-august

Hi, Victalis...

I've been watching this discussion and haven't said anything so far because Eugene seemed to be a minor issue in your decision-making. However, since voyaging rang my bell, here I am.

I've never thought of Eugene as being like a provincial Belgian city. I'll have to make a trip to Belgium and see if that is so. Eugene is definitely smaller than SF, Seattle and Portland. The Eugene/Springfield population is around 200,000+. Eugene is the home of the University of Oregon, which influences much of the cultural personality of the community. Lots of music, theater, sports...and restaurants. Don't worry about finding a good pub; we don't have as many brewpubs as Portland, but it's not that we don't try. You won't be here long enough to sample all of them.

We're also at a critical crossroads in Oregon...right on the I-5 and just an hour or so drive from either the coast to the west or the Cascades to the east.

Both the Willamette and McKenzie Rivers run through Eugene/Springfield. Right in the downtown area you have miles of riverside biking and hiking trails.

We're probably not quite as sophisiticated as a provincial Belgian town, but we're not all as backwoodsy as we used to be either. The drive from here to Bend is one of the most beautiful in the state, along the McKenzie River (#126) and over the lava beds (via the summer only Old McKenzie Hwy (#242) to Sisters and over Santiam Pass.

It's a shame you're only planning to spend one night here. That won't even make a dent in our local brewery production.