We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday parking in DC

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sunday parking in DC

Okay, I need some clear explanations here. I know that most or all street parking in DC is free on Sundays, right? Well, when they say Sundays, do they mean starting at 12am Sunday? Or does it start on a later time in the morning? Would parking Saturday night around 11pm be considered free? Same with Monday at 1am? I'm specifically looking at the street parking off Ohio St SW (near FDR Memorial/Tidal Basin).

Edited: 25 August 2010, 11:53
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday parking in DC

The DC "parking Sunday" lasts the same as any other Sunday: it's the 24 hour period from Saturday at 11:59 PM until Sunday at 11:59 PM. The "parking Sunday" doesn't start later than a normal Sunday.

Not all parking on Sunday is free but much is, and that late at night/early in the morning, there are likely to be no restrictions in most areas (beyond the 2 hr limit in Zoned parking areas of course).

I don't expect you will have any problem parking on Ohio Drive from 11 PM Saturday night until 1 AM Sunday morning, if that is your plan. But, as always in DC, read the signs before you park!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
4,530 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday parking in DC

Ohio Drive is an anomaly and plays by a totally different set of rules. There are no meters or payment required to park on Ohio Drive (as well as the interior drives--Jefferson and Madison--of the National Mall for that matter). The road is under the control of the National Park Service, not DC city government. There is a three-hour limit that is enforced seven days a week to promote space rotation for other visitors, and parking is prohibited on Ohio Drive from 1 a.m. until 7 a.m. daily. Visitors to the memorials during those hours will easily find spaces in the parking lots and on access roads next to them.

There are a few exceptions here and there (read the signs carefully), but most meters in DC don't require payment in the 33-hour period between 10 p.m. Saturday and 7 a.m. Monday. That, practically speaking, is the "parking Sunday."

Edited: 25 August 2010, 13:43
3. Re: Sunday parking in DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2011, 02:20