We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any areas similar to Dupont Circle in DC for trip May 2012

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado/Southern AZ
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Any areas similar to Dupont Circle in DC for trip May 2012

I have actually been to DC a number of times (have family in Spring Valley) and particularly like the Dupont Circle/West End area due to the high level of activity and numerous restaurants. However, I am trying to find an apartment to accommodate 5 ladies and Dupont Circle seems to focus on hotels and smaller apartments. Is there any other place I can search for a vacation rental apartment that might be somewhat comparable? I'm trying to avoid anything too residential where night time dining options are limited. We don't plan on having a car and tend to "Metro-it".

Any suggestions would be great.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,783 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any areas similar to Dupont Circle in DC for trip May 2012

Look in Adams Morgan or the Mt. Pleasant area. Tons of bars and restaurants, good vibe, super active nightlife and there are some good rental places to check out.

Cheers

Edited: 23 August 2011, 22:40
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,475 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any areas similar to Dupont Circle in DC for trip May 2012

There is no other area in DC that is quite like Dupont Circle. In some ways I would say that the Eastern Market area might be a bit like it, but you have to stay within only a few blocks of the Eastern Market Metro station. Columbia Heights is certainly up and coming and has a few places to eat and drink and shop. And some pleased tourists staying in condos there. But also at least one scammed visitor who found the place they had rented, and paid for, wasn't actually available.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any areas similar to Dupont Circle in DC for trip May 2012

Downtown Bethesda might work if you find a place close to the Metro. Lots of walkable restaurants though it is a ride into DC.

cyberrentals.com might be a good place to look.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any areas similar to Dupont Circle in DC for trip May 2012

Have you tried the Residence Inn Dupont Circle? They offer suites with 2 double beds and a pull-out sofa. Also, on the more pricey end, you can get a two-bedroom suite there, as well - quite spacious with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, quite like a condo/apt.

marriott.com/hotels/…

I agree with Darrel, though, Dupont Circle is uniquely Dupont Circle. No areas really like it (including the shady Eastern Market Area)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any areas similar to Dupont Circle in DC for trip May 2012

I hate to take issue with ArlingtonMan again on a Capitol Hill issue, but the Eastern Market area is far from "shady." It's a very nice area, but definitely different from Dupont. It is, however, full of nice restaurants, families with kids, and beautiful historic homes. The homes in the area sell from $700K up, so I think the market has decided it's pretty far from "shady."

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any areas similar to Dupont Circle in DC for trip May 2012

I don't like to get into arguments on the forum, so i guess tbwhall and I will have to agree to disagree. First of all $700k is on the high end (though there are some higher...why you'd pay that to live there is beyond me) and I don't believe that house prices determine the safety of an area - my case in point - there are listings in Anacostia for over $1 million. I wouldn't give you $100k live there, let alone a million. From someone who works on Capitol Hill, that isn't where I choose to be when I don't have to - just because it's nothing great. It isn't Anacostia by any means, but my point is I don't feel as safe there as in Dupont Circle or elsewhere.

Take care.

Colorado/Southern AZ
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any areas similar to Dupont Circle in DC for trip May 2012

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. This has really helped a lot. We usually avoid hotels because we like to stay in apartments with character but the Residence Inn may be an option because of its location - I think I've actually walked by it before but didn't realize it had suites. So we'll focus on some of the suggested areas as options. Hope everyone is well and safe after the earthquake.....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,377 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any areas similar to Dupont Circle in DC for trip May 2012

Don't know if they'll have availability for the dates you need, but the properties owned & managed by the 2 men at

http://www.dcguestapartments.com

are quite nice & have "personality"; the owners are a pleasure to do business with. And even the 2-bedroom apartment at their Dupont Digs property may be less expensive than a 1-bedroom at the Residence Inn Dupont Circle.

Edited: 24 August 2011, 14:27
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
994 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any areas similar to Dupont Circle in DC for trip May 2012

Eastern Market, shady?? That's the first time I've ever heard that. Maybe ten years ago... but I think it's one of the nicest neighborhoods in DC.

I wish I could assist on the apartment front, but I know hotels best. If you're willing to consider a hotel that feels more like an apartment, you may want to look into the St. Gregory. It's a few blocks from Dupont Circle in a more residential area, but an easy walk. One caveat - I haven't been there in a few years, so you should certainly read reviews to see what it's like now.

http://www.stgregoryhotelwdc.com/

I think the Residence Inn in Dupont would be a great choice if you are willing to consider it.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Any areas similar to Dupont Circle in DC for trip May 2012

It's partly shady and partly sunny. TRUE STORY