We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are cabs easy to catch outside of Metro Stations?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
51 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Are cabs easy to catch outside of Metro Stations?

My traveling companion has a knee injury and we want to limit the amount of walking from location to location as much as possible since she will be walking alot when we visit the museums. We will be using the L'Enfant, Smithsonian and Archives Metro Stations. Are cabs easy to get at these stations?

Also, are there cabs outside of the smithsonian museums?

Thanks in advance.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
34 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are cabs easy to catch outside of Metro Stations?

Cabs are basically available all around the city, and since you'll be traveling off-peak tourist season, hailing one should be fine. However, if you're getting out at Smithsonian and want to catch a cab, I'd get off at the Bureau of Engraving/Holocaust memorial exit. That will put you on Independence Ave. instead of the mall. You should be fine at the other stops. The Maryland Ave. exit will put you closest to the Air and Space Museum. Its about a two block walk.

Also, if the weather is nice, consider a pedicab ride, especially between museums. http://www.dcpedicab.com/ Its probably easier than hailing a cab on the mall. I haven't seen many cabs on Madison or Jefferson. You may run into some problems on the mall, where many museums and sites are, since the mall is spacious and walkable but not very good for vehicles usually.

Edited: 22 September 2011, 20:49
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are cabs easy to catch outside of Metro Stations?

It's going to be a mixed bag depending on which exit you use and what time of day you're talking about.

L'Enfant: best bet is Maryland Ave. & 7th St. SW exit; I think there's a cab stand on 7th at the corner.

Smithsonian: best bet is Independence Ave. exit. Cabs are fairly frequent during the hours between AM and PM rush on week days.

Archives: only one exit; lots of cabs along Penn'a Ave. at all but the latest hours.

The Smithsonian Museums should be OK; I'd suggest exiting them towards the Avenue sides (Independence or Constitution) and not the Mall side.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are cabs easy to catch outside of Metro Stations?

Outside of Archives (Pennsylvania Avenue) there should be no problem just hale one on the street. Outside of L'Enfant you might have to go up to the hotel that is attached to the Metro (use the exit where the artwork has the picture of an astronaut with a light colored background. I know that sounds strange but one of the other exits has an astronaut picture over it with a dark background.) You could also try the Maryland Ave SW exit and hale one on the street. The main exit at Smithsonian Metro stop is out to the National Mall so use the exit to Independence Avenue and hale one on the street. Most of the Smithsonian Museums have an exit onto Independence Avenue or Constitution Avenue. It would be easier to hale cabs on those streets than the ones that run along the National Mall. There are no cab stands. You might luck out and find one trolling for a fare but you will have better luck on the larger more busy streets.

This advice is for travel from probably 9 AM to 7 or 8 PM. Before or after that you may have to wait a little longer to hale a cab.

Edited: 22 September 2011, 20:57
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
51 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are cabs easy to catch outside of Metro Stations?

Great information, thanks so much!!

Im printing it out and taking it with me!

Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
464 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Are cabs easy to catch outside of Metro Stations?

Wow, those pedicabs look fun, is this a new business? I looked at their webpage and didn't see any info about rates.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,369 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are cabs easy to catch outside of Metro Stations?

Just for the record, taxicabs may not cruise the two streets along the Mall, i.e., Madison Drive NW, and Jefferson Drive, SW. They can let people off there, and pick people up if still on there, but they do not enter those street empty.

So you can get a cab from a Smithsonian Museum on the Mall on Constitution Avenue, NW, or Independence Avenue, SW.

In front of (well actually, in back of) Natural History, for example, there seems to be a cab there every few seconds during Museum hours.

I'd say the only downtown stops not having cabs pass by all the time are "Judiciary Square" and "Federal Center SW".

Los Angeles CA
Level Contributor
57 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are cabs easy to catch outside of Metro Stations?

Did you ever find out their rates? I am interested too

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are cabs easy to catch outside of Metro Stations?

Hi, Linda!

Here is a link to the official Washington Post Taxi Fare Calculator. Keep in mind that it is just an estimate, but it usually is pretty close (within 10%, typically, unless you incur unusual amounts of traffic, road work, etc.)

washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/…

Now I know you're not sold on your hotel location, so I'm going to pull all my resources to try to help you out! I'll post my advice on your other forum thread, so please be sure to check back there!

Safe travels,

Arlingtonman13

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,166 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are cabs easy to catch outside of Metro Stations?

I believe some of the pedicabs are unregulated and work for tips only to stay on the edge of legitimacy. Others run tours and do have rates. http://capitolpedicabs.com/tours.html

10. Re: Are cabs easy to catch outside of Metro Stations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 09:16