We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Hotel?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Which Hotel?

I have to choose between the following hotels:

Grand Hyatt Washington

Marriott at Metro Center

Renaissance Mayflower

Hyatt Regency Capitol

Could you please advise me which is in the best location and in a SAFE are to be at night. As my girlfriend and I are going to be going clubbing.

Also which clubs could one recommend (For 18+) us?

Any safety tips you could give us? What are should we avoid?

Cheers ;)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,612 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Hotel?

First, do not obsess too much about safety. Washington, DC is really quite safe for tourists. All of those hotels are in safe locations.

Personally I would choose the Mayflower because of its closeness to Dupont Circle, two Metro stations and the White House. But none of the others are in bad locations. The least desirable located hotel in your list is probably the Hyatt Regency.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Hotel?

I agree 100% with Darrel regarding hotel suggestions. Of those you named, the Mayflower would be my top choice for location and the hotel itself. However, all the hotels you listed are, no offense, boring hotels. For 18 year olds going clubbing, I'd think you'd be interested in a more hip hotel, like Hotel Palomar (or any DC-area Kimpton hotel, for that matter) or even the Dupont Circle Hotel.

That said, there are always safety concerns in a big city. A good rule of thumb is to avoid areas whose address ends in SE, NE, or SW. Of course there are exceptions to this rule, but it is a good rule of thumb. Check out this map below of DC-area murders over the past few years. Wherever then pinpoints are close together, those are areas you probably want to avoid ;-). But don't let one or two pinpoints scare you away from an entire neighborhood; they most likely are freak accidents. Just use common sense; avoid dark alleyways, don't carry a $2000 camera around your neck, etc. In other words, don't draw unnecessary attention to yourself.

www.burgersub.org/washingtondctotal.htm

Safe travels,

Arlingtonman13

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Hotel?

Oh wow, ok thanks.

So why are these hotels boring? is the location of the hyatt good or bad for visiting washington?

Thanks for the link of the map. That looks a lil scary... :)

Where the best area to go to at night?

Thanks,

J

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Hotel?

"So why are these hotels boring?"

They're just dull, bland, boring chain hotels. As an 18 year old, would you rather stay here (Hyatt Regency Capitol Hill):

oyster.com/washington-dc/…

or here? (Hotel Palomar DC)

oyster.com/washington-dc/…

I just think that for young people, the Hyatt (or any other named hotel) is extremely dull and bland. The Palomar has life and spunk, and I think you would be happier there.

Now, don't let the map scare you :) DC is a great city at night. Anywhere on the national mall or around the monuments is quite safe, well lit, and populated. Also, I wouldn't hesitate to be in Dupont Circle, Penn Quarter, Farragut area, White House area, Georgetown, Chevy Chase, or Arlington at night, all these areas are quite safe. Most areas south on the Green line of the metro are areas I typically try to avoid at night, and places out the NE end of the red line (New York Ave NE, etc).

Hope this helps!

Arlingtonman13

Level Contributor
2,466 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Hotel?

With the drinking age in DC being 21 years, you might have a tough time clubbing.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Hotel?

Ok you have a point there :) It wouldn't have been the Hyatt Regency but the Grand Hyatt... :) But point made.

Is there anyhow I can get a special rate for one of the Kimpton hotels?

-Because I got an amazing deal on the Hyatt :)

Ughh... the grand Hyatt is right at New york ave...

Thank you so much for your really helpful tips.

maybe you can also help me with finding some other things:

Ive tried to find an Israeli restaurant in DC, not a kosher one. There's none to be found on the internet. Maybe you know of one?

Thank you so much once again!

J

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Hotel?

The Grand Hyatt is at New York Ave NW. The area to avoid is New York Ave NE. There is a world of difference between the two.

Do a google image search for "dc quadrant map" and you will see that DC is divided into northeast, northwest etc quadrants hence every address has a NW, NE, etc after it.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Hotel?

Also, I think you are worrying too much safety. All of the popular places to visit in DC are in safe areas. Do you have a specific place in mind you want to visit that is off the beaten path for visitors? Unless you do, you are very unlikely to end up in a dangerous neighborhood without trying.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,612 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Hotel?

It is critical that you pay attention to the quadrant letters for DC addresses. If you look at the map you will see that if it were there, New York Avenue would pass right through the White House. But that is in NW DC. The Grand Hyatt is right in downtown DC and is a fine area. BUT...right now it is across the street from a huge construction project and that could affect your enjoyment of a stay there.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Hotel?

okey, I read on some reviews about the construction project. I have noted in the reservation that we would like a quite room. :) It's just important to me that I can get my girlfriend and myself safe home at night and that during the day I don't have to worry about safety. My friends told me that washington was a lot like Israel concerning security checks at many monuments and malls. True or false?

and if we can't go clubbing, where in washington can people arround their 20s meet other ppl their age?

Thank you to all for helping! I really really really appreciate it! :)