We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in WV....

MI
Level Contributor
93 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
5 days in WV....

We are taking a trip to WV this June and would like some help with an itinerary. We have to go to the Fenton Factory in Williamstown, but other than that, we are open to suggestions. Waterfalls, old mills, a little hiking....just a nice relaxing trip with romantic motels and good food. Thank you so much.

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days in WV....

Just south of Parkersburg is US route 50. Go to mapquest and check out the route. Heading east, it is a 4-lane highway to Clarksburg, which is about an hour away. Here is a great website about the trek: www.wvscenicbyways.org/wvscenicbyways_009.htm

Past Clarksburg, Rt 50 gets interesting. The road becomes 2-lanes, passes through some beautiful and historic countryside, and winds its way all the way through Washington, DC. Of course, you don't have to go all the way to DC, and could turn north or south anywhere and eventually end up on an interstate to get home. http://www.route50.com/

Here are some interesting things along US Route 50

- Grafton, old railroad town

- Tygart Lake State Park

- Valley Falls (just off rt 50 on 310 outside of Grafton)

- Cool Springs, just past Fellowsville (tacky, but awesome roadside stand - think route 66)

- Cheat River crossing near Rowlesburg - whitewater rafting, etc.

- Cathedral State Park at Aurora

- You then pass into Maryland for a short period of time. At Redhouse, you could take US 219 North to Oakland, MD, or you could take 219 South to Canaan Valley (the most spectacular part of West Virginia, with Blackwater Falls, 2 state parks, etc.).

- If you continue East on rt 50, you pass through some absolutely beautiful (but rugged) land, including Mount Storm.

- As you get closer to Burlington, there is the Mill Creek area. At this time, you are actually entering the Potomac River watershed, and many of the streams, waterfalls, and rivers eventually make-up the Potomac. The South Branch of the Potomac is extremely scenic and very popular.

- Once you get to Romney, you can take a train ride through the "Trough," or South Branch valley, and see some of the most beautiful scenery on Earth. You may also see Eagles: http://www.potomaceagle.info/

- The last stop before you reach the border with Virginia is the small, historic town of Capon Bridge.

Route 50 was called the "Northwestern Turnpike" when it was first built. It actually stretches from Ocean City, Maryland to San Francisco, California. In West Virginia, there are many unmarked roadside waterfalls, historic areas from the Revolutionary and Civil Wars, some very rugged winding roads up and down hills, and some beautiful farm land. Truly a unique trip.

It may be a perfect route for you to take during your 5 days in West Virginia.

Edited: 18 February 2011, 09:25
2. Re: 5 days in WV....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 December 2016, 16:35
MI
Level Contributor
93 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days in WV....

Oh my gosh...do you live in WV or were you on a vacation? Where exactly did you travel?

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days in WV....

Near Williamstown is the beautiful Blennerhasset Island with its riverboat crossing to the old mansion where a treason was plotted by Blennerhasset and Aaron Burr. Nice but short boat ride. On the island you can take a carriage ride as well as tour the mansion and surrounding grounds.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days in WV....

love_those_wings...DO NOT pay attention to esposo's post. How odd is it that have only ONE post....and it is to blast this beautiful state for some reason.

Clarksburg, West...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 days in WV....

This review is obviously by someone that is in a state where their football or basketball team has been trounced by the WV basketball or football team. Perhaps Pittsburgh..? This happens all the time. Anyone that would put such a review slamming any state of the great USA with such false lies and jabs must be a very sad person and certainly can't be taken seriously. Where in the world did you come from.. and truly visit ..?.Who are their "friends" they were with? We all know anyone can give a terrible post-review to ANY state in the USA. Be quite sure I can do the same to you where ever you live, or what hole? I am wondering, did they throw you out or run you out of WV..?

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 days in WV....

I must disagree with Esposo. His comments were extremely rude and I don't understand why they were not deleted. WV is a great state with a lot of great people and places to visit. I would love to return there in the future.

Morgantown, WV is a great city and home to WV University. The Water Front Place Hotel and Spa is also a great place to stay. There are some nice restaurants and shops in the neighborhood.

And Gettysburg, PA is a short drive for those interested in our country's history.

MI
Level Contributor
93 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 days in WV....

I've been going back over the information I have recieved and I was hoping you could help a bit more. How long do you think it would take to drive from Grafton to Capon Bridge, with a few stops along the way? We thought Valley Falls looked nice.

Thank you so much.

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 days in WV....

Without stops it is about 2 1/2 hours following Rt. 50. You mentioned Valley Falls, which is about 10 miles off Rt. 50, but I would recommend Black Water FAlls, which is about 17 miles off Rt. 50 instead. In addition, you will pass under and beside some of the giant windmills, which the locals hate but I think are pretty impressive, and you will go by the smallest church in the lower 48 states.

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 days in WV....

Also, if you are coming to Williamstown, there is a beautiful welcome center there and you could pick up brochures of things that might interest you.