We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving to Dubios and getting a ticket

8 posts
Save Topic
driving to Dubios and getting a ticket

Will I did get a speed ticket and the cop said I was going 45 but gave me a ticket of going 40. The problem was I was going 34 but that was because I was almost hit and had to speed up a little so that I would avoid the accident. I was in the left lane because I was about to turn left the person in the car that almost hit me then went into the right lane and he was passing me then he slammed on his breaks real fast(and I guess because he had a radar detector or he seen the cop. I then get pulled over and I told the cop what happened but he gave me a ticket anyways for going 40, but like I said I was only going 34 and I was still slowing down. My wife who is pregnant was sitting in the back seat and we had our 1.5 year old son by her. I did not want to get hit because it could hurt both babies. My wife and mom were both in the car and know I was not going 40 or 45. When things like this happen we try to drive defensively. When I try to tell the cop he would not hear it or even ask my family if this is what happened. He said he gave me the ticket because I was the first one around the bend of the road. So he uses radar where he cannot see the car he only gives the ticket to the first around the bend. I am 42 and I have always followed the speed limit no matter if I think it is too slow. I had never got a speeding ticket because of this. It is great that a cop try to protect his town but what about if he cannot see what is going on why can he still give a ticket? In my job we have ethics do cops not have ethics? I know maybe I should have let the car hit me, but what about my wife and the baby she is carring and our 1.5 year old son sitting beside her in the back? could I live or any one live with their kids or pregnant wife getting hurt in the back seat?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,391 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving to Dubios and getting a ticket

What is with all the posts lately about speeding tickets??? I've seen them on many forums on TA. Is this becoming the whine about traffic ticket website???

Sorry you got a ticket, sorry you almost got hit and sorry you didn't deserve the ticket. Stuff happens. The most important thing is that your wife and children are safe.

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving to Dubios and getting a ticket

It seems like the same post by different OP over and over, and now the same poster again w/a new thread, same verbiage. We made our point, they made theirs ...

I'm not sure what the OP motive is except for validation of his point. I wish you spent your time posting more positive things about their visit, especially since this is the second thread ie trip to GTNP etc. This is the only time you have posted to TA.

That sounds pretty bitter, but really? Volunteers on TA cannot help that he got a ticket, and like my original response said to him/her - thanks in a random way of pointing out the speed limit.

Like any person, if you feel so unjustified by the scenario, than fight it, in writing, in person, etc. Express your thoughts to the Government of Dubois and their chamber in a written letter. It would be better served there, than here, as I'm not sure if people from Dubois necessarily read this, and people that need to travel through Dubois will still continue to do so. I feel that one post is enough here.

Ok, enough said. I will not be responding to this again especially since it is the 3rd exact post. I am only exasperating the situation by putting in on top.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,391 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving to Dubios and getting a ticket

Yes Bluebird!! Rock on!

8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: driving to Dubios and getting a ticket

First of all I live in Wyoming and I traveled to many places around the world and have been to Tetons many times. When a town like Debois has officers give tickets where they cannot see who really the one is that is speeding is a problem. People need to be very careful there I could tell by how the cop spoke to me that he did not care if I was the one speeding or not…that he just wanted to give a ticket. For the record I have posted many times here in the past on travels to Japan and other places like the Philippines, just under a different name.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,680 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving to Dubios and getting a ticket

I hate to be blunt but I'm going to be, stop ranting and get on with life. You and your family fortunately escaped unharmed. As they say around here "Man Up." Life happens. And if you live in WY you surely know that you could go to court and explain all this to the judge and defend yourself there. Here doesn't matter.

And I'm not sure why you had to come up with a new name to post this rant. Why couldn't you just use your other name and avatar? Would your friends/family be shocked to see this in your normal postings?

Edited: 14 September 2011, 13:00
6. Re: driving to Dubios and getting a ticket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 September 2011, 19:05
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: driving to Dubios and getting a ticket

First off my post was not a rant it was a warning to people going through Dubois and it was also a question to see if anyone had a problem going through there.

To answer this part of your post "And I'm not sure why you had to come up with a new name to post this rant. Why couldn't you just use your other name and avatar? Would your friends/family be shocked to see this in your normal postings?" Really post like this appropriate? I post under Facebook because it easier and not because my family be shocked at anything. Insult me and it is ok. Don’t like what I say about an area you like then sorry. I love the Philippines but I see bad post about that place all the time, but I do not insult the person that wrote the post.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,680 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: driving to Dubios and getting a ticket

But I read it that you said you post to TripAdvisor under a different name, not on Facebook with a different name. If you look on the reasons to delete a posting you will see one of the reasons is that the person is using multiple screen names. That is what I assumed you meant you were doing on TA. If not, then I am sorry that I misunderstood.

And I am not saying I love a town, I am saying let it go on TA. You have said your piece here. Say it in court since you live in WY.

If you have travel experiences that are on a more positive note, such as you have mentioned, I am sure we would all love to learn from those also. I may never make it to some of those exotic locales but would love to hear from someone who has.

8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: driving to Dubios and getting a ticket

No it ok I see where you coming from and I understand. I am not a bad guy…I feel blessed with a wonderful wife and son. When I first post I was hoping to get ideas from someone that might had experience this before. My travel to other countries is an eye opener.

8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: driving to Dubios and getting a ticket

I only posted this information here i did not start the other thread. if read his or her story is different from mine. we were not the same person only once did i type this.on a different thread.