We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming for a game, been away 20 years

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Coming for a game, been away 20 years

I need some orientation help here....its been 20 years since I was on campus and the growth is just astounding.

I'd like to know if Chewacla is still operating and if so, is there somewhere nearby that we could stop for picnic supplies or sandwiches.

Second, I read that there is a Wal-Mart (....amazing since we had to go to Opelika to K-mart as the closest discount place back in the day!) Where is it located and would that be a good place to get the shuttle on game day?

Would the shuttle be better than parking ourselves in the "hay fields"?

Thanks for any help....

Ames, Iowa
7 posts
1 review
1. Re: Coming for a game, been away 20 years

Hi otherfootloose:

I teach at AU; I've lived here just over two years. Chewacla is still operating. Some people stay there during games: http://www.alapark.com/chewacla/

There are lots of hotels around here too. There is a Wal-Mart on South College St. It's not far from Chewacla--maybe a 10-minute drive. And it's right next to quite a few hotels.

I'm relatively new here, but I understand the parking was quite different back in the day. I'm not sure you could find a spot to park in the hay fields anymore. They get filled up with campers. From what I've seen of the crazy traffic on game days, you should take a shuttle. They run from spots all over Auburn.

I think Auburn will surprise you. The city has changed a good bit just in the time I've been here. It's a lovely place to live. War Eagle, Jo

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: Coming for a game, been away 20 years

Thanks Jo- I thought I'd never get a response!

I am looking forward to re-visiting the old haunts- though it may be that some are gone, now.

Auburn has always been a charming place- I'm glad you like it.

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
134 reviews
3. Re: Coming for a game, been away 20 years

My nephew graduated from AU in 2005 and he says things have changed so much in just those 5 years, can't imagine how much it's changed in 20. Good luck, have fun and most of all WDE!

Ames, Iowa
7 posts
1 review
4. Re: Coming for a game, been away 20 years

You bet otherfootloose. I can't speak to the old haunts, but at least Toomer's is still around. And they still TP the tree across the street for wins. From what it's worth from a northerner turned southerner, welcome back. :)

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: Coming for a game, been away 20 years

Thanks, Spunky!

I'm so glad to know that Toomer's is still alive and well. -And they DO still fresh-squeeze the lemonade, right???? !

What about the old ( maybe before your time) Sani-Freeze?

Huntsville
Level Contributor
15 posts
31 reviews
6. Re: Coming for a game, been away 20 years

I haven’t gone for lemonade at Toomers in a few years, but the Flush (Sani-Freeze) is long gone.

You will not recognize the area surrounding the campus if you have been gone all these years. South College Street all the way to the Interstate is full of businesses now. Many of the old apartment complexes and duplexes are being knocked down for more expensive student housing. The area in front of Samford Hall lost many of the trees due to Hurricane Opal in ’95.

Anyhow, parking is getting worse and worse around the stadium on game day. Unless I was staying right near the campus, I suggest taking the “park and ride” bus. They work pretty well coming in for the game, but expect delays leaving the stadium afterwards.

WDE and welcome home.

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
134 reviews
7. Re: Coming for a game, been away 20 years

Yes, they still fresh squeeze the lemons at Toomers. Good Stuff!

8. Re: Coming for a game, been away 20 years

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2011, 00:19
Get answers to your questions about Auburn