We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auburn football; need help planning a surprise for husband

Norwich, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Auburn football; need help planning a surprise for husband

Hi! My husband is an Auburn Alum and for his 40th next summer I want to surprise him with a trip to see a home Auburn game in the 2013 season. I want it to be a home game so he and I can visit his favorite Auburn places. But, being from CT, I know nothing besides WAR EAGLE! So, here are my questions:

What game should I aim for? Homecoming?

When do they typically announce the 2013 schedule and, more importantly, when do tickets typically go on sale?

I know to fly into Atlanta and rent a car from there, but where do we stay in Auburn?

$ does matter but I'm planning a year in advance so I can budget!

Also, how far from Athens, GA is is to Auburn? My in-laws are there and a visit might be nice, too.

Fairhope, Alabama
Level Contributor
477 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Auburn football; need help planning a surprise for husband

Its Auburn, and just like a UConn basketball game, any game its great to be there.

I would come down in October when the weather is not so hot. As far as directions look at google maps. War Eagle '86

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
4,129 posts
438 reviews
2. Re: Auburn football; need help planning a surprise for husband

Definitely come in October when the weather is cooler. I would consider taking Southwest Airlines out of Hartford to Birmingham and avoiding the Atlanta airport and Atlanta traffic. It's an easy drive from the B'ham airport to Auburn and takes just a little over 2 hours. Any game would be great but the trick will be getting tickets at a reasonable price if it's for an SEC opponent. You'll find hotels in Auburn for a game weekend pricey and most will have a 2 night minimum requiring a signed contract. Rooms are much cheaper in Montgomery and it's only about an hour's drive to Auburn. There's a nice Hampton Inn in Alexander City on the way from B'ham that's reasonably priced and less than an hour's drive from the campus that I would recommend.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Auburn football; need help planning a surprise for husband

Columbus, GA is a short drive from Auburn. I would wait for the schedule to be published and pick out a date in October. The schedule should come out after the first of the year. I would pick out a game then and get a room in Columbus for one night that you can cancel if you decide to. You may want to pick out two different dates and book a room for both dates that you can cancel. You won't know what time the game will start until two weeks before the game. You can get tickets on stub hub the week of the game if you want to wait that long. I think Auburn will play Ole Miss and Vanderbilt at home in October next year. The game will start at 11 AM, 2:30 PM or around 6 PM. I would wait for the time announced for the first game in October. If it's an early game I would start working on tickets for that one. Then you have time to get back to Columbus before too late.

You can also go to Auburn's Scout site for tickets. And rooms too but rooms in Auburn will be hard to get. But some fans end up the last minute not going and have a room available. Here's a link to their site.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=6&f=2779

Another good place to ask for info on tickets and rooms is their free forum.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=6&f=1010

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Auburn football; need help planning a surprise for husband

I called some friends that fly down to Auburn games every year. They fly to Atlanta and drive 80 miles W to Valley, AL which is only 30 miles from Auburn. Get a room at Holiday Inn Express. You can pick a game once the schedule is published then call and get a room. Don't worry about tickets. You can get them on Stub Hub or from the Auburn site. Tickets can be found outside the stadium right before the game starts also.

hiexpress.com/hotels/…photos-tours

Callaway Gardens is only 20 miles from I 85. You may want to fly to Atlanta and drive to CG. Spend a couple of nights there.

http://www.callawaygardens.com/

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g35187-d10…

Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Auburn football; need help planning a surprise for husband

In 2013, the Iron Bowl game against Alabama will be in Auburn. He will understand the significance of that game. It is always right after Thanksgiving, so that would be another reason to visit the in-laws and another reason for heading south so the surprise might be able to be kept longer. The tickets for that game will be significantly higher than other games, but it is a much bigger deal.

Agree with the others related to traveling in and where to stay. If you can tie in the in-laws for Thanksgiving, Atlanta would be the obvious choice. Also, you aren't restricted to Birmingham any more for Southwest since they are now in Atlanta, too.

If you want to stay closer to, or even in, Auburn the night before the game, book it as soon as you can. There are several chain motels in Auburn and one hotel adjacent to campus (The Hotel at Auburn University) that would be very convenient but expensive. There is are also options in Opelika that are close and usually higher priced on game weekends. I like the idea of Valley, AL or Columbus, GA or even LaGrange, GA for a place a little further away and cheaper.

War Eagle!!

6. Re: Auburn football; need help planning a surprise for husband

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2015, 20:16
Get answers to your questions about Auburn