We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4th of July at Disneyland (or just the fireworks)

Bothell, Washington
Level Contributor
67 posts
34 reviews
4th of July at Disneyland (or just the fireworks)

We (family of 4) are planning our trip to California, with a second half of our week at Disneyland. We try to go each year if possible. We haven't been at 4th of July, so this is new for us. I did read on Facebook that it is insane on the actual 4th of July. So, I'm tempted to not even try to go in the park and just sleep in that day, maybe a non park character breakfast, pool day or something like that.

So.....my questions.....

1. If we decide to just do fireworks that night, should we head toward the security area and watch from there?

2. Has anyone done INSIDE either park on the 4th, and is it really as crowded as I've heard?

3. If we're in the Anaheim area, is there something else patriotic to do during the day?

This holiday is bittersweet for me. We used to celebrate as a big crowd with my dad. He died almost 2 years ago. So last year we went away on vacation as well on the 4th just to get away, doing it again as well. (I got the news about my dad's death while inside Disneyland, minutes before a character breakfast reservation....sigh).

Anyhow, much appreciated to anyone who can give some tips!

13 replies to this topic
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
30,570 posts
94 reviews
1. Re: 4th of July at Disneyland (or just the fireworks)

Yes its a very busy day. You could expect heavy crowds and the likelyhood of Disneyland Park closing for capacity reasons on that date earlier in the day.

Im not sure I would try to get into that area to view the Fireworks from. Its likely to be pretty packed very early. At times if there are too many people, they may also restrict people coming into that area.

You can pretty much get the same view of the Fireworks from some of the Hotels and areas right close to Disneyland. Where are you staying?

Edited: 29 April 2018, 00:58
Bothell, Washington
Level Contributor
67 posts
34 reviews
2. Re: 4th of July at Disneyland (or just the fireworks)

Oh thank you! We're probably going to do the DL hotel. I've stayed at a couple of the hotels there and don't always get the best view, sometimes it's of the parking lot.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
21,516 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: 4th of July at Disneyland (or just the fireworks)

Check the website for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim to see if they have a home game at Anaheim Station. There will be fireworks after the game if so. Angel Stadium is just up Katella in Amaheim.

Keep an eye out for news on the businesses in Downtown Disney near Disneyland Hotel that will close. There are about four that will close by the end of June. They are to be demolished to make way for a new hotel. It's up in the air when demolition will begin on those buildings, although I can't see it happening that soon. But best make a reservation that can be cancelled and have a back up hotel. You can get a good overall view off property at the Sheraton Park Hotel with a Club Level Park View room.

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
59,245 posts
432 reviews
4. Re: 4th of July at Disneyland (or just the fireworks)

Disneyland on July 4th is more insane than you can imagine.

I've been on many a July 4th because I have a pass and can go anytime I want. I never go on rides on July 4th unless I can basically walk on it. I go to enjoy the atmosphere and fireworks.

I would NOT going if I had to buy a ticket for the day.

If I was an Australian with one of the 10 Day Pass tickets, it would be okay to burn a day for that.

Level Contributor
6,558 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: 4th of July at Disneyland (or just the fireworks)

Why bother with Disneyland fireworks when you can head out to the ocean and catch fireworks on the water? Go down to Newport Beach for the boat parade and fireworks. Live a little.

california
Level Contributor
969 posts
20 reviews
6. Re: 4th of July at Disneyland (or just the fireworks)

I don’t think I’ve ever actually been to disneyland on the Fourth of July. I did sell tickets at the Main Entrance on the Fourth of July in the mid 1980’s. And even back then the park would fill to capacity at mid-day.

If you reserve a premium room at the Disneyland Hotel you COULD end up with a fireworks view room. And you COULD just have dinner at Downtown Disney and make your way to the space between both parks and watch from there.

BUT going to an Angels game is an excellent idea (you can watch the fireworks at Disneyland from the back of the stadium View level on the third base side).

And so is any number of beach locations (though those are crowded too).

We have family in El Segundo. We go up there every year for a day at the beach and fireworks in the park. And the whole way home on the 405 and 22 fwys we are treated to (illegal) fireworks.

I recently learned about this, https:/… They say there is no online availability in July, but I would call. This would put you on the beach in Newport Coast and you could maybe see some of the displays in Newport or Dana Point.

Edited: 30 April 2018, 13:07
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
21,516 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: 4th of July at Disneyland (or just the fireworks)

You could consider dinner at the Carthay Circle on the balcony with the fireworks view. You would need to enter DCA Park, which does get crowds now although has more room to walk in most places. Pixar Pier will be finished by then so you can take some time seeing those changes as well.

I would guess that if you want one of those tables on the 4th you will need to book 60 days out.

What kind of park tickets will you have?

Edited: 30 April 2018, 13:25
Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Tijuana, Anaheim
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: 4th of July at Disneyland (or just the fireworks)

There are at least two dozen fireworks displays in Orange County at 9 p.m. on July 4, so you really are spoilt for choice. Disneyland has a special one (not the usual nightly fireworks), but most towns have them too. Huntington Beach shoots theirs off a barge in the ocean.

If you go to Disneyland, be there at opening and don't leave Disneyland, the 4th of July is one of the days when sometimes they have to limit admissions to the park due to capacity.

I usually go up to the top of our land (about 1,800') and watch all of the fireworks at once :D

california
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
9 reviews
9. Re: 4th of July at Disneyland (or just the fireworks)

Seamom56~ sorry about your dad. Mine passed away too, a year ago today. The last time I talked to him I was sitting in a teacup. :-(

If you do go to Disneyland on the 4th itself, as mentioned before, DO plan on going to the park at the very beginning of the day and staying all day

Vancouver, WA
Level Contributor
788 posts
55 reviews
10. Re: 4th of July at Disneyland (or just the fireworks)

if you want to watch Disneyland's fireworks and don't plan on going in the park, a good place to watch from is the roof of Paradise Pier. They play the music and you have a good view. Anyone can go up, not just hotel guests (not sure if that's more restricted on a holiday, but if you're at DL Hotel you should be fine).

Reply to: 4th of July at Disneyland (or just the fireworks)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted