We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Disneyland from Los Angeles

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cairns, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Getting to Disneyland from Los Angeles

Would it be better to catch a bus or train? The train is quite quick but is the station in Anaheim close to Disneyland

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
17,809 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Disneyland from Los Angeles

First a few questions, when are you visiting, how many in your party, and why only one day from Los Angeles? There is a statiion near Disneyland, yes.

Edited: 03 January 2012, 03:01
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
17,809 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Disneyland from Los Angeles

You will need to take a combimation of train and bus (or shuttle) from either the Anaheim Stattion or the Fullerton Station and back (or cab it from and to train statiions, which is not cheap). You also need to consider transport to Union Station in LA. You will need to coordinate the schedules with Disneyland's schedule and what you want to do or see there. Hiring a car makes it somewhat easier. Staying close is much better.

Edited: 03 January 2012, 03:22
Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Disneyland from Los Angeles

I'd second RR's advice. The easiest way to do this is to stay a night near Disneyland, where there are dozens of motels. From Union Station in Downtown LA., it's about a 40 minute train ride to Fullerton, plus another 25 minutes on the OCTA bus. So you're looking at a minimum of an hour and a quarter, plus the time it takes you to get to Union Station. It can be done as a day trip, but better to avoid it.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
17,809 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Disneyland from Los Angeles

I'm also looking at it from the view point of getting back (if this is indeed a day trip). You may be willing to put in the time to get over there, but would you be willing to leave Disneyland when the time comes to leave in order to make sure you make the train? And, unfortunately so, OCTA buses are not always a reliable way to make a train. I tried a day trip by a combo of train and OCTA bus last August to the Knott's Berry Farm theme park in the town next to Anaheim. It took a long time to get there, but I knew I would likely not need much time in the park that day. Everything was great until it came time to take the OCTA back to the train station and that bus was running very late. I missed the last train, was very upset, and ended up spending the night in a hotel down the street anyway. I thought I would save money by not renting a car, but ended up spending much more than I would have. I would never have considered doing taking the train to visit Disneyland anyway, there is too much to do and see there and the train schedule doesn't help.

I think it is possible to use the Anaheim Resort Transit Shuttle to transfer from and to the Fullerton Station, but that does not run often.

Another option is to take a tour, for example through Grayline Tours of Southern Californua or Starline Tours. That will not give you a full day and will get you there later in the morning than we normally recommend, but it will go directly to Disneyland Resort (after picking up at several hotels and making sure everyone has vouchers) and will leave from there. That would give you sort of a sampler day at Disneyland Park and not much of an evening. Alternatively, arranging a stay in Anaheim prior to staying in LA sometimes works out because there is the Disneyland Express Shuttle from LAX to Anaheim hotels.

Edited: 03 January 2012, 11:38
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Disneyland from Los Angeles

Another option is Metro Bus 460 from downtown LA to Disneyland - this takes longer than the train but the bus schedule tends to be more friendly for reaching the park when it opens and being able to stay until it closes. Still would depend on where you need to return to after leaving the park - the bus back to downtown LA leaves disneyland late but the question will be what bus or how you'll get from the downtown LA stop back to your hotel.

metro.net/riding_metro/…460.pdf

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Disneyland from Los Angeles

ART route 15 goes from Disneyland to Anaheim station. I don't know if it's more reliable than OCTA or not. You could get the last train of the day to Los Angeles--10:18 on weekdays, 11:15 on Friday/Saturday. But since ART is scheduled to get to the station at 20 minutes after the hour, it looks like you'd have to wait almost an hour, which is no fun. I'd probably take my chances with OCTA 43, maybe schedule in extra time for a connection. Alternatively late at night Metro 460 takes about 90 minutes from Disneyland to Downtown LA, so that's another option. All this demonstrates why staying one night makes sense.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
17,809 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Disneyland from Los Angeles

Yes, where you are staying in Los Angeles makes a difference when using the Metro 460. When I missed the train in Buena Park, I wanted to take that bus to get to Union Station which in downtown LA. The 460 does not go to Union Station, though. A kind bus driver who was going to the Fullerton Park &, Ride where I could get it found out for me walking directions from a 460 downtown LA stop and then advised me not to attempt that after dark (it was only around 8 p.m. too). If you are traveling alone or with children I would be very careful when planning this ahead.

A possible easy way to do this, if staying over one night, could be to take the Lux Bus that goes twice a day between (select) LA hotels and Anaheim hotels. Door to door service for around $36 per person one way. Sometimes the service is not provided at a hotel, but may be at one nearby. I haven't looked at the schedule lately, but hopefully there is a somewhat early morning route from LA to Anaheim. Or you might take the train over and stay the night, then take the Lux Bus the next day.

In my opinion, the easiest and best thing is build in an Anaheim stay to your itinerary and visit Disneyland at least 2 days (that means at least a three night stay. If you begin with a stay in Anaheim and move to LA, you can take the (low cost) Disneyland Express Shuttle to Anaheim and move to LA possibly using the Lux Bus or a rental car.

The time of year you are visiting Disneyland makes a difference on how crowded it will be, hours of operation, and what shows are offered. During some times of the year, even with longer park hours, going to the park two days is nicer than one because of the crowds.

We really should know more to really help. Traveling with children? How many days total do you have on your trip and the itinerary? What time of year?

8. Re: Getting to Disneyland from Los Angeles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2013, 05:30