We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Distance/Time Anaheim - San Diego

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
15 reviews
101 helpful votes
Driving Distance/Time Anaheim - San Diego

I'm sorry if this has already been asked in the past, but here goes:

I'll be in Anaheim for a few days, considering take one day (Monday, May 1st) to go to San Diego. Mapquest tells me it's about 97 miles and 1.5 hours drive. I'm not concerned about the miles...but the length of time it will REALLY take me to drive there? I've heard traffic can be killer...would you recommend we try to do this? We would leave Monday morning (around 9AM) and come back later in the evening (leave San Diego around 8PM)

Thanks!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
69,017 posts
72 reviews
141 helpful votes
1. Re: Driving Distance/Time Anaheim - San Diego

I would say that the hour and a half is with absoutely NO traffic. I fyou leave at the times you mentioned I would expect to do it in 2hrs (tops) unless an accident occurs. There is also a train from Anaheim but I think withstops it also can take 2hrs.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
52 helpful votes
2. Re: Driving Distance/Time Anaheim - San Diego

Your times aren't bad either to avoid traffic

One good hint, use the carpool lanes from Anaheim to San Clemente to save some time.

Los Banos...
Level Contributor
22 posts
126 reviews
127 helpful votes
3. Re: Driving Distance/Time Anaheim - San Diego

Plan on at least 2 to 2 1/2 hours for the am and 1 1/2 for the pm with no traffic. Now a days there is lots of traffic. So sit back take your time and enjoy the ride. Balboa Park is nice, as well as old town. The beaches are nice too. Bring your suits and towels just in case! Have a blast.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
52 helpful votes
4. Re: Driving Distance/Time Anaheim - San Diego

As someone who owns a House in San Diego, (Tierrasanta), but spends a lot of time in Orange County (my girlfriend lives there), I think 2 and 1/2 hours is overkill, leaving around 9 AM from Anaheim should avoid most of the rush hour, and using the carpool lane avoids most of the remaining trafic the first 40 minutes or so. I have done it in less than 90 minutes, but I think 2 hours is a better estimate.

Near Disneyland
Level Contributor
724 posts
2 reviews
5 helpful votes
5. Re: Driving Distance/Time Anaheim - San Diego

I've taken Amtrak to SD and once you get past Dana Point it's most an ocean view kind of ride. It does take 2 hours or a little more according to a schedule I saw on the Amtrak site for the Pacific Surfliner.

6. Re: Driving Distance/Time Anaheim - San Diego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 February 2009, 00:51