We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging

Level Contributor
28 posts
33 reviews
4 helpful votes
Lodging

I am very frustrated and trying to figure out where to stay. My trip is from June 29th to July 7th and I plan on staying in the RMNP area. I am not sure about staying in Estes Park because of the crowds. I have considered Grand Lake also.

So looking on the map I see a little town called Allenspark. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

6 replies to this topic
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
200 posts
250 reviews
169 helpful votes
1. Re: Lodging

Allenspark is awesome! It's a little town with only one or two small places to eat, and no gas station. You are in a community of cabins, and it is very peaceful compared to Estes Park. You are right next to the Wild Basin area of Rocky Mountain National Park, which is wonderful for hiking (not as much to drive through though, if you're not looking to leave your car). You're also a short drive along a beautiful stretch of highway from Estes Park and the other section of Rocky Mountain National Park. If you pay for one section of the park, you can get into both for seven days - you don't have to pay again.

That said, Allenspark doesn't have any chain hotels or anything. Most lodging there is privately owned, and you have to contact the owners for availability and reservations. It's a little bit more of a hassle than making reservations at a hotel in Estes, but it's definitely worth it. I can['t remember what cabin we stayed at, but some friends of ours stayed at this one and they loved it: http://www.jacksfishcabin.com

Colorado
Level Contributor
15,413 posts
13 reviews
24 helpful votes
2. Re: Lodging

Check out these VRBO listings: http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/colorado/front-range/allenspark

My favorite restaurant is located there - the Fawnbrook Inn.

Level Contributor
28 posts
33 reviews
4 helpful votes
3. Re: Lodging

Well after looking on VRBO the few cabins listed are booked. So my search continues. What do you mean about having to pay again at RMNP? I plan on getting a annual pass since I am coming back in fall.

Thanks for the helpful advice!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
200 posts
250 reviews
169 helpful votes
4. Re: Lodging

I meant you don't have to pay separately for Wild Basin. Your admission covers that also. An annual pass covers both as well, since it's all part of Rocky Mountain National Park. (Some people get confused and think Wild Basin is a separate park, that's all).

Windsor, Colorado
Level Contributor
18,155 posts
126 reviews
96 helpful votes
5. Re: Lodging

Consider splitting your time between Grand Lake and Estes Park. That way you can enjoy the activities on both sides of RMNP without making the 3 1/2 to 4 hour trip back and forth over Trail Ridge Road between Estes and Grand Lake. For the Estes Park area, look at lodging in Big Thompson Canyon or Glen Haven. You would still need to plan your meals for Estes. Also look at the Lyons area. It is a 30 minute drive to Estes but there are shops and restaurants in Lyons.

About the crowds in Estes Park, as long as you avoid Elkhorn Avenue at peak times which is normally around meal times, the crowds are not unbearable. People from large cities like Atlanta, Dallas or the northeast do not find Estes overly crowded. There are back roads to get you to your destination. The Estes Park CVB Visitor Center has an excellent free map. There are plenty of lodging choices outside of the downtown area.

On hiking trails, you loose many of the people after the first 1 1/2 miles.

Level Contributor
28 posts
33 reviews
4 helpful votes
6. Re: Lodging

Thank you all for the replies and advice! I have finally decided to rent a cabin between Estes Park and Drake. Far enough away from the chaos, but close enough if I want to hit the town.

For hiking I plan on taking the "easy" trails or going on the ranger led hikes. I am so excited for my get away!!!

Reply to: Lodging
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Allenspark
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.