We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maroon Bells access

California
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Maroon Bells access

I'm looking at the access information for summer and it seems to indicate that you can drive a car there before 9 AM or after 5 PM. So if we get there at 8 AM we could drive the car and stay there as many hours as we want, and drive back, is that correct? does the parking lot get really full during that 7 - 9 AM time slot?

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maroon Bells access

Yes, that is correct. The lot can get full, but it really depends on weekend v. weekday and if it's a busy date overall in the resort. The permit before 9am and after 5pm is $10 to drive your car up.

California
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maroon Bells access

Thanks

California
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maroon Bells access

Wait, if the road is closed at 9 AM is it closed to outgoing traffic too? Meaning I can't drive back until after 5 PM? If that's the case the bus it will have to be.

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maroon Bells access

You can feel free to leave at any time you like, the restriction is just to cars going up the road to the bells, not down from the bells.

California
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maroon Bells access

Oh good. I am finding alot on Maroon Bells but not alot on other hiking areas in Aspen. Any sites you recommend for other hikes, or is Maroon Bells the main hiking area there? If we choose Aspen we'll be there between 2 and 4 nights depending on if we stay elsewhere. Also looking at Summit County Breckenridge area.

California
Level Contributor
613 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maroon Bells access

There is tons of hiking to be had. There are great hikes up Castle Creek (American Lake & Cathedral lake), you can hike right up Aspen Mountain, have lunch at the sundeck and then take the Gondola down for free. Go to Ute Mountaineer which is right on the mall across from Wagner Park (by the fountains) for some other ideas.

California
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maroon Bells access

Sounds good. Though maybe I should take the Gondola up and hike down? :)

Cape Coral, Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maroon Bells access

Is the access allowed during all hours to the Maroon Bells' parking lot? We want to photograph the area at sunrise. Also, can someone tell us how much time we need to allow for the drive from Aspen to the Maroon Bells' parking lot? It doesn't seem that far, but want to make sure to allow enough time to set up our tripods and camera gear prior to the first morning lite.

Thanks!

San Antonio
Level Contributor
6 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maroon Bells access

I just came back this week and wasn't in condition for for long hikes but have brochures in front of me now. Go to www.riograndetrail.com and see all of their Trail Maps. The US Forest Service's brochure Guide to the Maroon Bells Scenic Area is the best that I had never found on line before we went. I picked up the guide on the $6.00 bus tour/trip and it was well worth the $. I really enjoyed the short hikes at The Grottos seeing the Ice Caves and Weller Lake which are just outside of Aspen on the way to Independence Pass.

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maroon Bells access

Tropicdiver- I would allow 20 minutes from town of Aspen to the day use parking lot at the top. As we mentioned earlier, the Forest Service booth isn't manned before 7am or after 7pm, so that means you can drive up at no cost. From 7am-9am and 5pm-7pm you can drive up but at $10 per vehicle. From 9am-5pm only the bus is allowed and that bus tour is $6 per person.