We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

review of our great holiday here

Ontario
Level Contributor
361 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
review of our great holiday here

I wanted to share with everyone some of the great things we saw here. This might make your holiday planning easier. We spent a month here and loved every minute . We did a lot of our own cooking but the food places we did visit were very good. Pink Pig Pizza served a wonderful pizza with loads of cheese on top of your requested ingredients. Doloris Sweet Shoppe right across from Piggly Wiggly was fantastic for her turnovers, cinnamon buns , we should know we tried almost everything she had. Seafood Grill was quick and like the name serves different fish . Bite Me Deli had fantastic sandwiches and their home made potato chips were great. The soda fountain shoppe was great for ice cream (we tried it a few times) There is a Mexican restaurant in Eastpoint (only about 10 minutes away) that as the reviews says doesn't look great from the outside but try it because their meals are large and not that expensive . We had breakfast there and the place was packed. As for sights walk to the north end of Market Street where the shrimp boats are docked you will see lots and lots of pelicans. They are just sitting everywhere and it is lovely to watch them fly. Go to the visitors centre and pick up their historical walk pamphlet . They list 37 places to see and you can walk to them all. Go to Lafayette Park where there is a long pier and it is a quiet area to sit (you have to bring your own chair) and at night you can see a great sunset. We bought a 3 day fishing license and it was great fishing. You can buy your license at the court house. The Dixie Theatre has events that are good. The theatre itself is not very big so get your seats early , you can buy drinks there. Battery Park is a nice place with two piers you can walk out on and watch birds and boats. Riverfront park is also great for pelican watching. If you go to the end where the 13 Mile Seafood store is you can watch the birds swimming for fish. This 13 Mile Seafood outlet store has wonderful staff especially TJ who helped us a lot. Carrabelle Beach is about 25 minutes away and has free parking and washroom facilities. This beach is amazing. Also St George Beach is about 10 minutes away and again great to walk with facilities and parking You can walk forever there. A couple of hints - if you are using a credit card at the gas pumps they will ask you for a zip code. For Canadians you will have to enter the numbers ONLY from your postal code and add two zeros at the end then push enter. Your card will then work. Check first at the restaurants if they take credit cards and if their machine is actually working ( this happened to us once) so you will know if you have to have cash or not. There is a laundry mat in Eastpoint that is clean and has an attendant near by. Mexico Beach is about 30 minutes away and has a huge public pier and again free parking and facilities. There is a nice restaurant called Castaways there we tried as well they had great salads and more. You can see my individual reviews on each of the restaurants we visited. There are two golf courses St James and St Joseph Bay that are each 30 minutes away in different directions. These are all tips that I would have liked to know before coming here so I thought I would share them . This is a fantastic place to spend time.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
363 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: review of our great holiday here

Thanks so much, Cubaqueen. Your review was thorough and helped. We will be there only 3 nights at the end of Feb. and hope the weather will be nice. Where did you stay?

United States
Level Contributor
6,485 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: review of our great holiday here

Thanks from me too, Cubaqueen. We are just making a day trip, so your info will help us do a look around. Do you have any suggestions for a nice lunch restaurant?

Ontario
Level Contributor
361 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: review of our great holiday here

We stayed at a place listed on AIRBNB right in town. If you can't get this place I have looked at the Gibson Inn and The Water Street Hotel and Marina and from the outside they are very nice. You will have to check reviews for them though. A great place for lunch is Bite Me Deli but it is only open from 11:00 - 3:30 Monday - Friday. Doloris Sweet Shoppe also sells breakfast and lunch and prices are reasonable . Good place for simple sandwiches and salads.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,064 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: review of our great holiday here

Nice trip report - thanks

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,766 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: review of our great holiday here

Sam1966 - we love the Gibson Inn - great for a weekend getaway.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
363 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: review of our great holiday here

We will be staying at the Water St. Inn because we like the water view and having a kitchen. Did you eat at the Owl Cafe or pub?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: review of our great holiday here

CubaQueen you wrote a great review with a lot of practical information. I am towards the end of a month long stay on Oakaloosa Island in Ft. Walton Beach and it was suggested that we visit Apalachicola. Naturally I consulted Tripadvisor to see what the area has to offer. I have seen enough piers and Pelicans to last a lifetime but am always up for historical sites. I would like to take the walking tour and maybe sample one of the restaurants you mentioned. Thanks for taking time to post!

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: review of our great holiday here

We absolutely love Apalch! Thanks for your review

9. Re: review of our great holiday here

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2017, 19:17
Get answers to your questions about Apalachicola