We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Belize to Cozumel

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Belize to Cozumel

My wife and I are planning a trip in February. We want to begin with a week in Belize and end with one week at our timeshare in Cozumel. Does anyone know a good, relatively inexpensive and reliable way to go from Belize up to Cozumel?

Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
171 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Belize to Cozumel

There is a new ADO bus from Belize City to Cancun: chaacreek.com/belize-travel-blog/…

Lucy

Caribbean
Level Contributor
4,933 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Belize to Cozumel

There are ADO express buses operating about every 2 hours between Chetumal and Playa del Carmen -- trip time about 4.5 hours and and about 250 pesos. You can get the full schedule with fares on the ADO website.

If you are on Ambergris Caye or Caye Calker, you can use a water taxi to get to Chetumal. There are 2 water taxis and they depart every morning.

If you are coming from Belize City during the day, there are Belizean buses that go to Corozal and continue to Chetumal.

The ADO express bus from Belize City departs at 8:15 pm and costs BZ$63 to Playa. It will make pick-ups at Orange Walk & Corozal.

Belize
Level Contributor
52 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Belize to Cozumel

ive taken this trip a few times, and while you can get a very cheap bus ride to the border, the local airlines fly to Corozal around 5 times a day. Not sure if you are staying on the mainland or on one of the islands, but the air fare is around US$50 one way per person. The flight is around 15 minutes where as the bus ride is a few hours and on not very comfortable buses. My understanding is you won't have A/C on the bus.

From the airport in Corozal, you can take a taxi to the border. They will take you to the Belize exit building, where you will clear Belize immigration to leave, then you taxi will take you to the Mexico side, which is around a 5 minute drive, to check in to mexico.

From there you can either take a taxi to playa del carmen to the cozumel ferry or you can take the ADO bus to playa del carment and then, depending on which ADO termial you arrive at, you can either walk up 5th Ave to the ferry terminal or if you arrive at the other terminal you will want to take a 5 minutes taxi ride to the ferry terminal.

The taxi from the boarder to Playa del carmen is around US$150 where as teh bus from the boarder to playa would be around US$10 per person.

Edited: 21 September 2011, 10:45
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,849 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Belize to Cozumel

First class buses aren't quite that cheap between Chetumal and Playa del Carmen. The fares I saw were from 160 pesos to 230 pesos.

Here's the link:

http://www.ticketbus.com.mx/wtbkdl/index.jsp

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Belize to Cozumel

To Lucy, Mr.B266, Wendy and Jeanh -

Thank you very much for this information. It is helpful. We're still gathering information.

Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Belize to Cozumel

If you want to travel in a safe and secure way to cosumel check the guys out at discountedbelizeshuttlesandtours.com they could prob give you a reasonable rate

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Belize to Cozumel

Thanks travelcitygyrl

I'll check this out too.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from Belize to Cozumel

Hello everyone who helped me to find a way to get to Cozumel. It looks like discountedbelizeshuttlesandtours.com is the winner. Thanks travelocitygyrl.

9. Re: Travel from Belize to Cozumel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2012, 00:19