We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

topless or nude area

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
180 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
topless or nude area

We've been thinking about going on a weeklong sail in the Belize area on a catamaran. Our question is, are there any beaches or resorts where topless sunbathing or nudity is acceptable for the time before and after our sail. Thanks

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: topless or nude area

This topic comes up regularly. Belize is mostly Catholic, and British. Although there might be a few discrete folks who go topless at remote resorts, it is frowned upon almost everywhere.

pooopy
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: topless or nude area

Can you get arrested for sunbathing topless?

pooopy
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: topless or nude area

And what does being Catholic have to do with it. Plently of Catholics go topless all the time (Europeans for example)

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: topless or nude area

Okay, maybe in Europe. This is a very conservative country, so plan accordingly.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,834 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: topless or nude area

Mainly Anglican and Catholic, but that has no bearing on this, look at France and Italy. I would say its more a legacy of the British. Caye Caulker attracts European backpackers who bathe topless. I think it'll depend more on where you are stay and the people around you.

Keep your bottoms on, that would be overstepping local comfort zones and the law.

pooopy
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: topless or nude area

But will I be arrested for going topless?

sf
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: topless or nude area

one is probably better off doin the nekkid or semi-nekkid sunbathing while out to sea or moored at some remote location. probably polite to say something to the captain before whippin out yer girls.

it's been my observation that august brings many european visitors, some of whom i've seen sunbathing topless on caye caulker and tobacco caye. i reackon it helps if one is exhibitionist or oblivious because many, many fellas will ogle and or make comments to a point i would personally find annoying. you will definitely attract attention whether you want it or not. i've never seen anyone ticketed or arrested (more likely on CC, where they have police) but it doesn't mean it has never happened.

it's a take yer own chances kind of thing.

cheers

~~~gogo

California
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: topless or nude area

I never saw topless in belize. Italy never saw topless. France i saw topless.

Talkeetna
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: topless or nude area

I've definitely seen topless in Italy... on the rocks at Talamone and definitely in the Cinque Terre. I have not seen topless in Belize, but assume that it occurs on the smaller Cayes with no police. On Caye Caulker there are always local people, especially children, walking the beach. The Belizians are very conservative. They would find even topless sunbathing offensive and would likely involve the police. The police on Caye Caulker are there, as much as anything, to preserve their way of life. Wait until you're away from the island to expose your breasts.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,844 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: topless or nude area

Although this is an old thread, I will mention that there was a woman sunbathing topless at Ramon's when I was on Ambergris in March. I saw her several times, so no one must have said anything to dissuade her.

I have to admit I was surprised, not offended, but surprised. Lots of local families swim there on the weekend.