We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

duty free

tulsa
Level Contributor
104 posts
13 reviews
duty free

I see where i am allowed 6 bottles at the duty free now, which is great. My question is, you used to have to place the bottles in your checked bag for the flight out to the island. Is that still the case? 6 bottles of booze can add a lot of weight.

Hon
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
1. Re: duty free

Yes, you still have to put the bottles in your checked bags. That said, we put 6 bottles in each of our two large suitcases that already weighed 45 lbs and the only question asked was if they needed a 'heavy' sticker. In all of my many trips to San Pedro aboard Tropic Air, my checked bags have never been weighed.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
278 reviews
2. Re: duty free

6 bottles, yes. You shouldn't have any problem. You'll save quite a bit doing it that way.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
36 posts
31 reviews
3. Re: duty free

We just shopped at the Belize duty free on our way to San Pedro a few weeks ago and put the six bottles of vodka, rum & gin in a reusable shopping bag that I'd thrown into my duffel which was easily checked with the rest of our checked Tropic Air luggage. It wasn't specially packed or sealed but we were assured it would arrive intact which it happily did...

San Pedro, Belize
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,831 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: duty free

Ask Tropic Air to put a fragile sticker on your luggage. I have not heard of anyone's alcohol breaking in their luggage so far. My friend just wraps her wine in clothing. You could always pack a few spare plastic or larger Ziploc bags to put the bottles in.

Hon
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
5. Re: duty free

TG, you've heard of it now :~) Last year, in spite of the fragile sticker on my bag, Dan's bottle of Jim Beam broke during transit. I had several items of clothing destroyed because of dye transfer from a Guatemalan bag and shoes that smelled like a bar room floor for a month.

Now we bring a few sheets of bubble wrap.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
278 reviews
6. Re: duty free

Bummer! We've heard it now.

7. Re: duty free

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2015, 00:20