We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port fee from Chetumal, Mexico to San Pedro, Belize

Which San Pedro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Port fee from Chetumal, Mexico to San Pedro, Belize

Any regular travellers .........When using a Belize water taxi can you confirm if there is a 'port fee' to be paid when leaving Chetumal terminal heading for San Pedro? Not to be confused with any departure tax/customs.

I know the taxis charge $30-35 for the trip depending on operator just wondering if there is any 'hidden charges'.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,442 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port fee from Chetumal, Mexico to San Pedro, Belize

From Pedro's Hotel blog:

If you are traveling from Mexico to San Pedro and have been in Mexico for more than 7 days, be sure to have 280 pesos on hand for a departure fee (they will not accept US dollars or Belize dollars and there are no banks nearby). If you begin your travel in San Pedro you do not have to pay the departure fee.

pedroshotel.com/belize-travel-tips/…

Caribbean
Level Contributor
4,553 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Port fee from Chetumal, Mexico to San Pedro, Belize

When departing Mexico, there is no port fee and there is no departure fee. This is according to Mexican Immigration, the Mexican Embassy in Belize and a Mexican Honorary Consul in Belize.

If anyone asks for money at the departure point, it is a scam.

There is a fee for the FMM visitor's card/form (only if you've been in Mexico for 8 days or more, or if you're transiting through Mexico), but that fee should not be paid at the border. If you know the FMM fee has been paid, then there is nothing to pay at the border. If your reach the departure point and the FMM fee has not been paid, it would be convenient to pay the money to get out of the country.

Edited: 25 December 2011, 11:21
London, UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port fee from Chetumal, Mexico to San Pedro, Belize

Recentely leaving San Pedro every passenger boarding the San Pedro to Chetumal water taxi was asked for a 'port fee' of $5 per person.

As stated earlier not to be confused with the Belize Departure fee/conservation Fee: BZ$7.50 (US$3.75)

So to confirm is this a scam/illegal activity? Similar to the scam via the Corozal-Chetumal bus journey? (where the drivers mate request 200 pesos)

Edited: 04 January 2012, 18:35
Playa del Carmen...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Port fee from Chetumal, Mexico to San Pedro, Belize

We were leaving Caye Caulker at 05 Jan 2012. And up on leaving, we were asked by Belize water taxi to pay a 10 bz dollar docking fee as well as a conservation fee. is the docking fee a scam?

Up on arriving in Mexico, chetumal, we got a new immigration form an an extra note in spaninsh with 262 pesos written on it, what is this?

We were in Mexico first for 10 days and then Belize for 2 days, and now in Mexico for 3 days before leaving. Is this an departure fee, and if so wouldn't it show when we were leaving and not when we arrived?

London, UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Port fee from Chetumal, Mexico to San Pedro, Belize

The 262 pesos is a departure tax/fee from Mexico (which they state should be paid at a bank), we today flew from Mexico into the US and this was not requested, so I assume it was already added to our ticket.

The request of a 'port fee' does sound rather questionable to me, especially when they got a little rattled by the request of a reciept. (which they didnt supply)

There is a know scam at the Corozal-Chetumal bus terminal, take a google search.

I am looking forward to a response from the Belize & Caye regulars on this forum.

Keep an eye out for replies.I will bump it regularly.

London, UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Port fee from Chetumal, Mexico to San Pedro, Belize

Weekly 'advice requested' bump. Please see above.

Anyone else had to pay a port fee?

Caribbean
Level Contributor
4,553 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Port fee from Chetumal, Mexico to San Pedro, Belize

I wonder why the water taxi company would collect ANY fee separate from the water taxi fare. If there is a "port/docking fee" (which I doubt), why is it separate and not included with the fare?

Regarding the 262 pesos...

That is NOT a departure fee. It is a fee for the FMM tourist card/form that you received when you arrived in Mexico.

When visitors arrive in Mexico by plane, the fee is usually included in the price of the airline ticket and the form is issued on the plane. In this case, no further payment is necessary in Mexico or when you depart Mexico at a border. In fact, no money should ever be paid to immigration officials at a Mexican border. When departing Mexico, the FMM is handed in. THERE IS NO DEPARTURE FEE.

When visitors enter Mexico at a land border, they receive a new FMM card/form plus the additional slip of paper showing the amount to pay for the FMM (262 pesos). Visitors who are in Mexico for 8 days or more OR are transiting through Mexico from one country to another country (eg. Belize -- Mexico -- USA) must pay the fee before departing Mexico. The fee can be paid at a bank or at Cancun airport.

Edited: 12 January 2012, 11:21
Allen, Texas
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Port fee from Chetumal, Mexico to San Pedro, Belize

I apologize for being obtuse, but this is really gotten confusing. My wife and I are arriving from the US to Cancun where my "immigration/entrance to Mexico" fee is included in the airline ticket . We will stay a week in Playa del carmen and then are planning on taking a bus to Chetumal. We then thought we would take the water taxi to San Pedro and stay for 3-5 days. What fees will we need to pay to get into Belize upon arrilval and then back into Mexico? Thanks for the help.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
4,553 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Port fee from Chetumal, Mexico to San Pedro, Belize

Departing Mexico

There is no exit fee/tax. An immigration officer might ask for money, but no money should be paid to any officer at the border.

When you arrive in Mexico by plane, you will receive an FMM visitor’s card (either on the plane or in the airport). There is a fee for the FMM, and if the invoice from your ticket purchase shows that the fee has been paid, then I would carry this with the FMM in case proof of payment is needed.

I don't know if that "port fee" is a valid fee or a scam.

Entering Belize

No entry fees. Visitors get a stamp in their passport that allows a stay of 30 days maximum.

Departing Belize

At a land border, there is a departure of BZ$30, and if you’ve been in Belize for more than 24 hours, there is also a PACT fee of BZ$7.50. The fee can be paid in BZ$ or US$.

If you depart by water taxi to Chetumal, I think one of those fees is not charged, but I have heard that passengers have been asked to pay a "port fee". Again, I don't know if that port fee is valid or a scam.

Entering Mexico

You will get an FMM card from an immigration officer – make sure you also get a separate piece of paper showing the amount to be paid. Fill out the FMM. The officer will keep one half and you keep the other half with your passport and hand it in when you depart Mexico. Before you depart Mexico, the fee for the FMM must be paid at a bank or at Cancun airport. The FMM fee is currently MX$294 (that’s pesos).

London, UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Port fee from Chetumal, Mexico to San Pedro, Belize

The 'Port fee' will be requested when leaving Chetumal and once again leaving San Pedro.

The most valid point is why is this 'CASH' request not included in the ticket price and why is it difficult to get a reciept for this payment. Nothing mentione on any guide books etc!

All seems a bit shady at the Water taxi port, unlike the official fmm/exit fees/departure costs.

Edited: 05 February 2012, 15:58