We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chetumal, MX to Ambergris Caye, Belize??

Murphy, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Chetumal, MX to Ambergris Caye, Belize??

We are going to be in Puerto Aventuras, MX the last week of Oct. 2012 and want to go to Ambergris Caye, Belize for a day trip to view some real estate properties. The water taxis that I've located thus far leave Chetumal @ 3pm daily and San Pedro @ 7-8 am daily. We need one that leaves Chetumal, or maybe Corazal, in the morning and returns in the afternoon. Does anyone know if there is one that has this schedule available??

I don't know if there are restrictions on driving a rental car between MX and Belize, but that is another option for us if it's possible. Any help is appreciated!! Thanks..

Murphy, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Chetumal, MX to Ambergris Caye, Belize??

FYI - this is not an impossible feat, just that it is very time consuming and expensive to go to Ambergris Caye this way. The drive from Cancun to Corozol is an all day adventure in itself. Then there are only 2 car rental companies that are allowed to bring a rental into Belize. Next is the cost of the airfare between Corozol and Ambergris Caye which can be $200 + RT per person, or the time it takes for the water taxi and their schedules. All of these factors, plus the fact that we had already booked a 4 star All-Inclusive in Puerto Aventuras, MX made the day trip for us not woth the money and time.Honestly, if you want to go to Ambergris Caye, it is less time consuming and much cheaper to just plan your trip to Ambergris Caye and not try to incorporate it with a trip to Cancun.

I have now booked a 10 day trip to San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye, Belize for this April. Fly into Belize City, transfer to Maya Air (or Tropic Air) for the short flight to San Pedro. The whole 10 day trip including Hotel and Air fares was just $1100 US for one person. Not to mention way less hassle..

I can't wait to go down and see the lot that I purchased in person!! Yes, I went ahead and bought a lot based on video and pictures and it has already increased in price by 5K since Oct. 2012. Great ROI even if I decide I don't want to keep it..

Santa Ana...
Level Contributor
14 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Chetumal, MX to Ambergris Caye, Belize??

Thanks for the response! The friend I'm traveling with, actually lives in Cancun and thus, I'm flying in there just to ride on his car to the border. We have planned to drive into Belize City to take the hopper plane from there, but I was told I could save the 2.5 hr. drive and just fly out of Corozol. We are not traveling until the end of August, so there is still time to do some research...

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,736 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Chetumal, MX to Ambergris Caye, Belize??

The base fare on Tropic Air from Corozal to Ambergris Caye is US$55.00 one way. There's tax on top of that, not sure how much.

http://www.tropicair.com/

Murphy, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Chetumal, MX to Ambergris Caye, Belize??

Sorry, I miss typed the air fare info, $200 RT was for 2 people.. :-) And the fact that there were 2 of us who already paid for the resort in Puerto Aventuras @ $150 per day that we would virtually have missed an entire day of, plus the cost of the gas, the time spent, etc.. It simply wasn't worth the $500 + that it would have cost us for just a few hours on Ambergris Caye.. With limited time and flexibility it just wasn't a viable option. Hence we decided to just enjoy our time in Mexico and plan a trip strictly for Ambergris Caye..

If you are planning to spend several days in San Pedro and aren't already booked into an All-Inclusive Resort in Cancun or Riviera Maya, that is a totally different situation..

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,736 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Chetumal, MX to Ambergris Caye, Belize??

Yes, texblondi2, I agree it's not a good option for a day trip.

Are you willing to share where you bought your lot at?

Murphy, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Chetumal, MX to Ambergris Caye, Belize??

Actually Jean, I'd prefer to not disclose that info on a public forum.. :-) Let's just say it's very close to San Pedro Town and there is a road right to it.. ;-)

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,736 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Chetumal, MX to Ambergris Caye, Belize??

I don't blame you. Hope you love the island as much as we do.

Murphy, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Chetumal, MX to Ambergris Caye, Belize??

Thanks.. I'm sure I will love it.. I'm planning to build a house there and retire early in about 4-5 years.. I can't wait for a day of snorkeling to be the most stressful thing I do.. lol

19. Re: Chetumal, MX to Ambergris Caye, Belize??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2014, 02:16