We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caye Caulker Water Taxi

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
10 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Caye Caulker Water Taxi

What's the latest on water taxis between Belize City and Caye Caulker? I've seen indications that some of the companies have gone out of business or been bought out, but there are still three companies that seem to have websites operating: cayecaulkerwatertaxi.com, sanpedrobelizeexpress.com, and sanpedrowatertaxi.com. Are all of these still operating and is there any reason to pick one over the other? The CCWT advertises hourly runs on their website, but the schedule pages shows departures about every 2 hours. Is there a good website that has current information?

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caye Caulker Water Taxi

unless you have specific needs you would just go to the dock after you clear the airport and get on the next taxi available.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caye Caulker Water Taxi

Check out this blog - I'm guessing it's the most up to date info out there:

www.belizebus.wordpress.com

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
10 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caye Caulker Water Taxi

Thanks for the blog site; it has two of the same websites listed and the third looks like a different website for the same company. They all seem to have discrepancies in the schedule between what you see on their home pages and what is shown on the schedule and rate pages, so I'm hoping that someone has recently used the services and has some current information to share. One taxi service says that they offer hourly service to Caye Caulker, which would be great if it's accurate.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caye Caulker Water Taxi

Welcome to Central America, zzzzzz - you're unlikely to find any sort of schedule online or otherwise that is updated regularly and followed carefully. Even if I'd been there last week (which isn't the case - I haven't been to Caulker since 2009) the information could change before you get there.

I agree with Katzgar, you pretty much just need to head to the dock and take the next one over. Happy trails!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caye Caulker Water Taxi

We took the San Pedro express to Caye Caulker just last Wednesday. I don't know the times of the morning runs, but the last three of the day leave Belize at 3pm, 4pm and 5:30pm.

Rhode Ilsland
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Caye Caulker Water Taxi

I have found the websites very confusing as well. We arrive by cruise ship and don't have that much time to spend.

I saw this article regarding San Pedro's additional runs but there is no mention of it on their website yet.

i-newswire.com/san-pedro-belize-express-wate…

Rhode Ilsland
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Caye Caulker Water Taxi

Double post

Edited: 26 October 2011, 21:33
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Caye Caulker Water Taxi

Sheal24 - I'm afraid you're just going to have to accept, same as zzzzz28, that you're really unlikely to know exactly what the schedules are until you're on the ground. I know that will be especially disconcerting with limited time, but even if you figure the schedules out, they may change the day before you arrive with no notice. That's part of the charm of CA for us but it did take some getting used to. Happy trails!

Laguna Niguel
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Caye Caulker Water Taxi

Leaving for Caye Caulker tomorrow. My hotel gave me the following:

The schedule for San Pedro Belize Express Water Taxi is as follows:

Belize to Caye Caulker.

9:00am | 11:00am

12:00pm | 1:00pm

3:00pm | 4:00pm

5:30pm

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
364 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Caye Caulker Water Taxi

Current return passage for one person is listed at $17.50, but the Co-op (by the bridge) & the "other guys" San Pedro Belize Express etc (1/2 a block east) do match rates. We went by the Co-op at $15 return in November. We were told the last boat left at 4 PM in Trip Advizor, but in Belize City we were told that the San Pedro group sometimes will leave as late as 5:30 in high season and the Co-op as late as 5 PM. TheCo-op large taxi boat ride is about 45 minutes at about 30 knts (fast) and is fairly smooth due to the passage being on the inside of the reef that protects the various cayes.

The Co-op group has recently extended their service from Belize City to Chetumal Mexico with stops in Caye Caulker and San Pedro. Mexican Customs is cleared in San Pedro. We didn't get any rates, but I would expect Chetumal to Belize City or the reverse would be $30. I believe the run is made about six times a day. We saw one evening rendezvous between 2 of the Co-ops large 50 person boats at the Caye Caulker public dock in which they seemed to exchange passengers. The would have allowed each boat to return to its base in the remaining daylight

Get answers to your questions about Caye Caulker