We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belize or Honduras?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
195 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Belize or Honduras?

Hello. So this trip is in its very early stages so I do not know when I will be going to one of these countries (it will be in the summer though). I'm looking for a trip that will be filled with culture, great architecture, food, Vistas and Sandy beaches (it know belize doesn't really have sandy beaches but do any f you have(recommendations?), magnificent Mayan ruins, along with great rainforests. I know both countries have these things but which one is the better of the two. I'm also looking for a wild factor that will set this trip apart from others. I'm also thinking about Guatemala but I really doubt I will go with that option. Thanks for the help, I will keep on researching (=.

Mentioned in this post
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Level Contributor
162 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belize or Honduras?

Two very popular ruins on the west of the country are Xunantunich and Caracol both are very spectacular.Also the ATM cave is a must it a natural mayan museum with mayan artifacts and skeletal remains,a most to do on a bucket list.

Edited: 18 March 2017, 00:38
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,123 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belize or Honduras?

They are both great choices for everything on your list except great architecture unless you use the term really loosely. The things on your list are more spread out in Honduras than in Belize so if you only have a week or 10 days than Belize might be a more satisfying choice. If you're interested in diving, it is significantly cheaper on the Bay Islands than in Belize - about half. Belize also offers incredible caving and easy access to the Tikal and Yaxhá Maya sites in Guatemala.

You really can't go wrong - pick one this trip and save the other for later. Our favorite country in Central America is Guatemala but we usually end up on the water in Honduras or Belize. My photos with blog links are below in case you're interested. Happy planning!

https:/…collections

Mentioned in this post
Honduras
Honduras
Central America
Belize
Belize
Central America
Tikal National Park
Tikal National Park
Peten Department, Guatemala
Maya Beach Hotel
Maya Beach Hotel
709 Reviews
Placencia, Belize
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
3. Re: Belize or Honduras?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2018, 01:17