We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi from San Ignacio to Tikal?

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi from San Ignacio to Tikal?

We are staying at Clarissa Falls in a few months then heading to Tikal Inn for one night hoping to do sunrise tour. I am thinking about taking a taxi to border then crossing and getting another taxi to Tikal Inn. After some research, this appears to be the cheapest option since most shuttles charge per person. I am traveling with my husband and 10 year old daughter and can speak Spanish. We would do the same the next day, although we have to get ourselves to Lodge at Chaa Creek (glamping option) on the way back. Just want want to be safe and hassle free.

Thoughts on the best option?

Regards,

Samara

21 replies to this topic
Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi from San Ignacio to Tikal?

For taxi/shuttle service in that area, I recommend TeddyBear (Theodore Figueroa) you can reach him at teddybeartaxibelize@gmail.com - always replies in good time in my experience.

He is very personable, a ride with him is educational and entertaining. He will even do a sign with your name on it. I had him make one for fun for my friend and I when he met us at the San Ignacio Airport.

http://www.teddybearshuttle.com/

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
274 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi from San Ignacio to Tikal?

I would suggest arranging transportation in advance to make things safer and easier. Your hotel in Tikal may offer a shuttle service back to the border in the morning. I would look into that as prices are usually very reasonable. I have heard good things about Teddy Bear but have not used him. We used William's Shuttle Service when we went to Tikal.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi from San Ignacio to Tikal?

So you don't think we should just wing it and get a taxi once we cross the border? Does Teddy drive to Tikal? How much was William's Shuttle to Tikal?

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
274 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi from San Ignacio to Tikal?

The border can be a little chaotic and you don't know the reputability of the taxi drivers flocking you to try and get your business. I think you would be more comfortable pre-arranging a ride to avoid the hassle.

I think the fare from the water taxi ferry in Belize to the border was $130 for 2. We then had a guide take us from the border to Yaxha for a tour and then on to our hotel in Tikal. This information probably doesn't help you a lot.

Hotel Tikal Inn can help you with transportation back to Belize. Their website is not always up to date. I would email them for available options.

Here is a link to transportation options in Belize:

https://belizebus.wordpress.com/

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi from San Ignacio to Tikal?

Teddy Bear charges $150 to Tikal.. Yikes! That seems a bit pricey. William's doesn't cross the border. I am still looking into some others. I am leaning towards doing the taxi to border then when we cross get another one. Read in another post that taxi from border to Tikal is $60. That seems more reasonable.

Thoughts?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,516 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi from San Ignacio to Tikal?

If it was my trip I'd taxi to the border and have a guide meet me on the other side; that way you could visit Yaxhá and be dropped at the Tikal Inn. In the morning the guide could return for your sunrise tour, then deliver you back to the border where you could cross and hire a cab to Macal Jungle Camp (great choice!). You'd still be negotiating the border yourselves but you'll be fine as long as you remember there are 2 stops, one for each country. Hiring a guide to drive and adding Yaxhá to the itinerary would be huge wins for us. In fact, that's what we did last fall (not my 1st visits to the Maya sites but I was traveling with friends).

My all time favorite guide for Tikal and other Petén sites is archaeologist/naturalist Roxy Ortiz. She is incredibly knowledgeable and really great company. She is really busy, though, and can't always be reached. I've toured Tikal and other sites with her many times over the last 10 years, most recently when friends and I had a wonderful morning tour of Tikal in October.

www.tikalroxy.blogspot.com

The day before that we had Marlon Díaz pick us up at the Belize border, make a lunch stop at El Portal de Yaxhá for a traditional Guatemalan lunch, tour us through Yaxhá, and deliver us to our hotel in El Remate (we stayed in El Remate instead of at the Tikal Inn like I usually do because one of my friends has a prosthetic leg that has to be charged through the night). Marlon is quick to respond, flexible, knowledgeable, has a nice vehicle, is good company, and speaks English well. You can't go wrong with either but Marlon is much more likely to be able to guide you. If you contact either of them, tell them Stacey says hi. :-) Enjoy!

info@emguatemalatravel.com

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi from San Ignacio to Tikal?

My apologies got my Teddy Bears Mixed up (I know 2 that drive) Correct one for San Ignacio shuttle that does service to at least 5 other districts. Ted Valdes <teddybearshuttles@yahoo.com>

http://www.teddybearshuttle.com/

Edited: 27 January 2017, 08:41
Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi from San Ignacio to Tikal?

Thank you so much for all your info. I have e-mailed both Roxy and Marlin. I am leaning towards taking taxi to Border then maybe having Marlin meet us like you said. I am waiting his response. Chena @ Clarissa Falls quoted me $90 from Clarissa Falls all the way to Tikal for the 3 of us. Not sure who she goes through. I think that's more reasonable if the others don't work out. That way maybe we can just do the sunrise tour with Marlin and have him drive us back to border after and perhaps stop for lunch etc.. Yes, planning on just getting a cab to Macal River Camp. We are so excited! It sounds like we have the same taste in travel itineraries as I looked at your Flickr photos. We've been to Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, and Yucatan in Mexico many times. We love photos of birds and wildlife. Also, getting off the beaten path.

Mogadore, Ohio
Level Contributor
125 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi from San Ignacio to Tikal?

When will you be at Clarissa Falls? We are staying there for a couple days April 21-22. Never been there before but very excited.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi from San Ignacio to Tikal?

We are there March 11-13. After a ton of research we really think this will be perfect. Chena, the owner, has been very responsive to all my questions. We are looking forward to it.

Reply to: Taxi from San Ignacio to Tikal?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted