We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A really very stupid money question

columbus, ohio
Level Contributor
165 posts
24 reviews
A really very stupid money question

Hi everyone!

We are going to Belize soon and I was looking at restaurants on tripadvisor. Some people have taken photos of menus (which by the way is very helpful) and I have a really stupid money question to ask. I know the exchange rate is $2 to $1 US. When I look at the menus, I think that has got to be in US dollars because no food like that could be, in effect, half price. Are the menus always in belizian dollars (to which the other half of my mind yells, "of course they are, you are in belize, dumbbunny!)? Is there some way to know? I would hate to assume that I should pay half of the amount stated on the menu in US dollars; I don't want anyone to think we are trying to short change them. I'm probably really overthinking this. Should we just exchange money at the airport? Thanks for the input!

Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
9,036 posts
1. Re: A really very stupid money question

No such thing as a stupid question -- all questions lead to enlightenment.

In San Ignacio, I'd say that all menus would be in BZD. I can think of a couple of possible exceptions.

The only places where you might see USD prices would be in the main tourist areas (like San Pedro & Placencia), and then mainly at the better class of restaurant.

I once went to a restaurant near the Tourism Village in Belize City, and was astounded at the prices on the menu (in USD). My friend asked for the "Belizean" menu, and we got menus with prices in BZD.

Usually, if prices are in USD, the price will be preceded by "US$". If in doubt, ask.

No need to exchange money at the airport -- you can spend USD in Belize. You will likely get BZD as change -- spend that before leaving Belize because it is difficult to exchange outside Belize.

Edited: 18 March 2017, 21:38
columbus, ohio
Level Contributor
165 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: A really very stupid money question

Thank you Mister, that was very helpful!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,482 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: A really very stupid money question

I have found that far too many of the resorts on Ambergris price their menus in US dollars. In general, I avoid places that do this. For one thing, their prices are also much higher than the more local places.

4. Re: A really very stupid money question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2018, 01:17