We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help me plan my trip!

Which San Ignacio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
5 posts
Save Topic
Please help me plan my trip!

Hi to all,

I have been reading all of the great reveiws and I am now swimming in a sea of confusion. I am planning a 40th birthday surprise trip for my husband. It will be our first vacation together, alone, since our honeymoon in 1999. The "surprise" part has me for a loop as I cannot ask for any help...so I am turning to the great forum commuity.

I would like to fly in on Friday February 10th for 6 nights. I originally wanted to spilt that up into 3 nights in San Ingaciao doing the ruins then 3 nights at the beach. But after reading all the reveiws, I think we should stay in SA longer. My confusion is on where to stay - in town or in the jungle? I think I have decided that it is not recommended to rent a car. But then how would we get to our second destination at the beach?

I would like to do ATM, Tikal, river tubing and zip lines. The Maghogany Hall has availability and looks like a wonderful hotel. Is that a good choice with all the tours I want to do? Just wondering about getting to and from the hotel to town?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help me plan my trip!

Mahogany Hall is lovely indeed, and they will arrange transfers for you into town. This option is much cheaper and easier than a car rental, which would be wasteful. As most people in Belize don't have cars, there is a thriving and reasonably inexpensive taxi culture. As far as the transfer to the beach is concerned, just have MH or wherever you stay organise it for you. There are plenty of transfer services You would go to Municipal Airport and fly to destination from there. My favourite seaside place is Placencia.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
224 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help me plan my trip!

You could get a transfer from Mahogany Hall to Placencia. The adventures you have chosen for the San Ignacio are right on spot.

Have a pleasant surprise birthday. What an extremely nice suprise !

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help me plan my trip!

MH is nice. It's down a dirt road a klick, and taxis love to charge a lot for dirt roads, but you could walk for 10 minutes to and from the taxi stand. That way the taxis would only charge $1us a person. It's a nice, quick walk, and I do it every day since I tube by MH. Bullet Tree is only 3 miles from town, yet it'll feel like it's a million miles away.

Great tours you have listed there. You can arrange them yourself in town to save money. BZM, Maximum Adventure, and Pacz are all great, and we send all our friends to them. Before using some of the others, read the reviews on TA. Like all tourist locations, you'll find hucksters on the streets trying to talk you into 'the best priced tour' you'll regret. If you spend another day, I highly recommend Mountain Pine Ridge and Caracol, which can be done on the same day. John Chuc from Kin Winik is the best at that tour.

If you'll be in Cayo for a while, check out the Best of Cayo for a list of great restaurants. http://www.bestofcayo.com For shuttling, William at Belize Shuttles is by far the best. I think it's around $200us for the shuttle to Placencia.

Have a suprisingly great time!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
11 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help me plan my trip!

My first trip to Belize - I did pretty much the way you described - three days on Caye Caulker (snorkeling and beach) and then the rest in San Ignacio for excursions. Tikal was high on my list as I really enjoy the archeological options. ATM cave was an amazing surprise and well worth it. I also drove to other sites like Xunatuich, the Blue Hole, Belize Zoo. My last trip I revisited the islands, went to Placencia (also a very nice coastal option), Caracol and Althun Ha.

Getting to the ferry from the airport is no problem - but $25 US, the ferries run several times a day. Getting around Caye Caulker by foot is very relaxing.

I've used Maximum Adventure Tours for all my bookings, Max is friendly, professional and fair. River Rat Expeditions for the guides.

ENJOY! What ever you do, it will be memorable and perfect.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
22 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help me plan my trip!

Just returned from 2 weeks in Guatemala and Belize. We stayed 3 nights in San Ignacio. The guys did cave tubing and zip lining. We all had done Tikal and caught a ride with a tour guide from San Ignacio for $25 ea from Tikal to San Ignacio. We also did the local Mayan ruins. We hired a cab for $30 for the day for the 3 of us.

We took the local bus to Belize City for $2.50 ea,, took a cab to the boat terminal and then bought round trip tickets to Caye Caulker for $35, cheaper to get round trip tickets. I highly recommend Caye Caulker. Very laid back and inexpensive. We rented a condo on the beach, but there are all kinds of of accomodations there. We stayed 3 nights here. We flew home from Belize City.

6. Re: Please help me plan my trip!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2013, 05:17