We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Macal River Camp

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
210 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Macal River Camp

My son and I are trying to nail down the accommodation for the mainland portion of our trip to Belize in May 2013. I have it narrowed down to 5-6 places (making great progress right). We want to stay in the jungle in the Cayo District and will be doing quite a few tours in the 5 days that we will be there before heading to Ambergris Caye. I have been intrigued by the casitas at the Macal River Camp. The questions that I have right now are.

1) Will the in town tour companies like BZM Tours pick you up? Do they change extra for this service?

2) Breakfasts and dinners are included in the price. Do you get some choice for meals or is it a set menu?

3) I understand that the casitas are around ½ mile away from the Luxury Lodge. The Lodge accommodation looks very nice but not really our style. Can you get a beer at the River Camp and how much would you be expected to pay?

That’s about it for now. More questions coming as we move forward. Thanks for your help.  

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,815 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Macal River Camp

We loved the camp!

1) They might pick you up but are likely to charge a fee. If your timing is right, you might get a free lift into town on the supply truck.

2) Set menu - really delicious food.

3) Don't know about the beer - sorry!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
224 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Macal River Camp

You will definitely be charged an extra fee for pick up, the camp is off the beaten track. Last time I was at the luxury part of the lodge ( about 4 years ago) a beer was $9. bz

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Macal River Camp

You'll be charged extra, but not that much more, and doing tours yourself guarantees you'll save money. You can always bring your own alcohol, and stopping at the inbound duty free to buy liquor will save you a small fortune. The food is great. You'll want to use the pool since it's so nice, and take advantage of the resort activities.

Have a great time!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Macal River Camp

Thanks for the info. Not really interested in paying luxury resort prices for a drink. We do plan on bringing a soft sided cooler. If we buy beers in town does anyone know if there is any problem with getting ice from the bar?

Kennewick...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Macal River Camp

We obtained ice for our drinks from the kitchen at the river camp. The casitas were very comfortable and night experience worthwhile. You might also research/consider the on site experiences, and pool, at Chaa Creek.

6. Re: Macal River Camp

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2013, 05:15