We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coco Sunset Vacation Club

Warren, OH
Level Contributor
54 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Coco Sunset Vacation Club

My husband and I are looking to trade our time share for Coco Sunset Vacation Club in Costa Rica for the last week in Nov. This is thru Interval International. This is a new member resort and I cannot find any reviews or information. Can anybody help? We are aware it is not beach front and that is OK. We are considered with location and what is available at the resort as well as cleanliness.

costarica
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
71. Re: Coco Sunset Vacation Club

I read your message but did anyone ask who is the owner of CocoSunset Vacation Club, Are they register in Costa Rica. Is it really a Resort. When reading many messages, maybe it is not a resort at all. I ask many people, and some even told me that they bought condos at Coco Sunset Hill, in a residential area.Is it the one you are referring to when you have to listen to a Time Shares sales pitch. Is it the project kind on a hill, with many stairs, mediterranean style, all white also a nice swimming pool on top, . I was told that many owners are surprised having a resort there,I made more research, and found a builders under www.playas de las palmas.com, and the site shows similar condominium. a gated community. This is probably why it doesn t look like a resort.. We even received a list of units for sale as a residential condominum. If anyone can have more details, it would be nice to hear more..very concerned and confused.....

Bronx, New York
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
72. Re: Coco Sunset Vacation Club

There are several condos sections within the entire complex. It seems that there are many different owners and/or managers within the complex. There seems to be different security for different sections.

We stayed in one section under an Interval Time Share exchange, but one of the units in that section actually had an For-Sale by owner sign on it. The Real Estate office in the shopping complex showed our 2 bedroom units selling for about $160,000.

Coco Sunset units on the hill are very nice. They look like they are brand new and are being sold as "Fractional Ownership"

When I told a tico where we were staying, they said, Oh, that is a residential community. So I think it is a combination of both.

rochester, ny
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
73. Re: Coco Sunset Vacation Club

My experience was much like cruiseprincess written 10/08. I just came back and am disappointed, mainly in myself. My room was adequate. No alarm clock so for the first couple tours I had to keep the drapes open a bit to ensure I was up at daybreak.

Had a few ants, a cricket in the shower and on 2nd last night a cockroach, which freaked me out. That was the only one I seen and I searched. The few food items I bought, were stored in the fridge.

My bed was very comfortable and the linens were clean and the TV was cable. Once the sun was down and I was back at Coco Sunset there was nothing else to do but watch TV. When I had my morning coffee, I had to drag a couple of the kitchen chairs out to the patio. I was in the area of the pool but there was no place to sit with a cup of coffee and just relax.

The snorkle tour was horrible. It was my first experience and there was nothing in the water to look at. No fish. No coral. Nada. And the guides didn't help me at all with it even when I said I had never done it before. And that was $50. I told Zoe later that I think they should drop that one from the list but she said a lot of people like that and it was just because I didn't like snorkling. I said that there was nothing in the water and well I guess that can't be helped. Also the tour was advertised to be a sailboat but instead it was just a regular motor boat. The lunch for that trip was nasty too. I didn't even eat half of it.

The main thing I wanted out of my vacation besides to relax was to see a volcano, but the best I seen was Arenal on the way to Monteverde.

My recommendation is to rent a car ASAP. Pay the $8 for the GPS and you are good. Get it for the week. Look in town for other tour adventures and explore on your own.

My vacation would have been great if I didn't depend on them. Sometimes information was confusing. Some times prices seemed to change on things. I didn't find them helpful or informative enough and shame on me for not doing my own research and planning to a "T" like I always have done. I just really wanted a good volcano experience, a couple fun tours and to relax and I didn't get that. I regret I didn't chose another destination that would have cost me half as much.

I met these guys on the plane back home who stayed in Coco but at another resort and through II, like myself, but they had a little booklet of all kinds of tours to take. They had a tour to Nicaragua that included 4 volcano's and they were able to look inside the crater. If I knew of such a tour that would have made my whole trip, because that is the top thing I wanted. They showed me their pictures and I wanted to cry even more so.

I just don't understand that a county with 200+ volcanos and in an area with so many activities why the Depalma's tour people couldn't give more information or why they didn't know more. A few pointers or some real help outside of what they could make money on would have meant so much. One would think that Costa Rica only had a few volcanos rather than a few hundred.

I took the Arenal Tour through them which was very good and very worth it ... except there was no sighting of the volcano due to clouds at night. I still would recommend that tour and loved the hot springs.

The town area was a bit of a tourist trap souvenior streach and the beach is dirty. I never felt comfortable to go hang out at the Coco Sunset Vacation Club area due to the hard pitching.

I spent more time trying to figure out how to do something than doing something. I was reminded of limitations due to being solo. My big mistake was not just renting a car right off the bat for the week. Driving around there is not so bad nor were the dirt roads.

I would not stay there again and don't recommend it if you are a solo traveler. I was so discouraged some days I swore I hated the place. A lot of it was that I felt I was spending a lot of money and just not getting any bang for my buck and also feeling trapped. The other kicker was knowing I could have made another destination choice which would have cost less in air fare and tours and had better accommodations and amenities.

It was not the trip for me to take at this time. I was not in the mood to work so hard at a vacation and one has to be in that mind set to get the most out of staying at Coco Sunset and Coco Beach. You can have a wonderful stay, but do your research ahead of time, plan your time before you go, and RENT A CAR FOR THE WEEK. Do not be afraid to drive in that area. But like you will read in other places, just don't drive at night. Do not depend on just what Coco Sunset has to offer as what they have is limited.

costarica
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
74. Re: Coco Sunset Vacation Club

after reading your message, I hope you send a complain to Interval International. They accepted them, Coco Sunset, which is a RESIDENTIAL area, without verification of this place. The builder, which is Las Palmas is renting the condos, that they didn t sold, without any consent of present condominium owners, and which, of course is illegal, in Costa Rica, or anywhere else. If Coco Sunset Vacation Club, or Las Palmas, want to do such a resort, they would have to get all the permissions from many government agencies, which means changing the zoning for resort or many others autorizations. and specially used their own financing , not innocent people that bought condos in that project. Now, you may have the answer why you do not find whatever you expect in a real resort..,entertainment, etc. This is a family living, not a resort...

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
75. Re: Coco Sunset Vacation Club

My husband and I are here now. It is clean and everyone is very nice. But don´t expect a resort setting. They will try and sell you again on a timeshare, they call it fractional ownership. Don´t go for the upgrade! It will be a waste of time and money. The town is quite small and there isn´t much to do outside of bars. RENT A CAR! Get it online before you come down here. I´ll post more once we get home

cali
2 posts
Save Reply
76. Re: Coco Sunset Vacation Club

I was in coco sunset 2 weeks ago. first of all the accomidations was beatiful, the gronds where amazing, yes everything is spread out, but that is the way me and my wife like it! the staff were very helpfull and acomidating, and we made alot of friends amongst them. the sailing tour was amazing, the privious blogger stated there were no fish........................ you can not time the schools of fish, but we seen hundreds! we are now planning our next visit to Coco Sunset and want to thak all the staff for our amazing vacation

Yours Sincerly

bob and sylvia

Fivefeetandglassy
1 post
Save Reply
77. Re: Coco Sunset Vacation Club

Dear Zoe,

I have tried to email you a few times in regards to our future arrival in Coco. Has you email changed or is there a new contact person.

Thank yoy

New Jersey
3 posts
Save Reply
78. Re: Coco Sunset Vacation Club

hello Zoe,

My email is cinthya.serrano@yahoo.com. Sorry for my very delayed response but I was away in Europe and had completely forgotten about this forum. I will be arriving on November 14. I really would like some feedback as I am very nervous about going to Coco Sunset due to the horrible reviews. Like I had stated before, I have been to Costa Rica as I am married to a tico but I am going with my mother and two friends and I want us all to have a pleasant trip.

Hope to hear from you soon>

Thanks,

Cinthya

New Jersey
3 posts
Save Reply
79. Re: Coco Sunset Vacation Club

hello Zoe,

My email is cinthya.serrano@yahoo.com. Sorry for my very delayed response but I was away in Europe and had completely forgotten about this forum. I will be arriving on November 14. I really would like some feedback as I am very nervous about going to Coco Sunset due to the horrible reviews. Like I had stated before, I have been to Costa Rica as I am married to a tico but I am going with my mother and two friends and I want us all to have a pleasant trip.

Hope to hear from you soon>

Thanks,

Cinthya

coco beach
7 posts
Save Reply
80. Re: Coco Sunset Vacation Club

Hello Cynthia,

I can imagine your concern! Coco Sunset is a beautiful complex and i am sure you will be happy here.

My new email is zoe@cocosunsetvc.com

and our website is www.cocosunsetvc.com

Look forward to hearing from you

Zoe Graham.