We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top 5 Things to Buy?

Manassas, VA
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Top 5 Things to Buy?

We are traveling to Costa Rica in August. Can you tell me what are the top items people buy and bring back with them? I love coffee, so I am sure that will be my number one item! We are staying in Dominical, but will be traveling to Quepos and to the other areas.

Thanks in advance.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,644 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top 5 Things to Buy?

Of course our coffee as you already mentioned...buy it at local grocery stores...local good brands...1820...VOLIO...REY...MONTANA...

BRITT is just good marketing and higher price. Why pay more for the same!

roadadvisor

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top 5 Things to Buy?

ron centenario. possibly the smoothest rum i have ever tasted. believe it or not the ketchup is far better than any other. cacique guaro mixed with pear juice. as mentioned, the coffee is incomparable. imperial t-shirt. bring back all the maps you can find, you'll need them to plan your next costa rica vacation.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top 5 Things to Buy?

Lizano.

Handmade bracelets in various color "twine", sort of a macrame I guess, not sure the correct term used there but there are so many pretty ones they make great gifts and last forever. I find the best ones made by people who just set up tables on the street...

Coffee is good. Tres Generaciones (Doka) is terrific. I think Britt sells at the airport by 2 get 1 free, not sure about locations outside the airport.

I discovered coconut nougat with fig cookies last trip and I sure wish I would have bought more!

There are lots of nice wood items as well.

Sarongs. Yes, you can get them everywhere but they are beautiful and have so many uses!

I often just go to the grocery store at the end of a trip and peruse the aisles picking up random items.

P.S. Customs thinks I'm crazy living in Seattle, bringing back coffee, but it's better when you get it local!

Edited: 22 July 2010, 17:26
Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top 5 Things to Buy?

Lizano Salsa is my favorite

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,644 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Top 5 Things to Buy?

I´m a terrible TICO...of course LIZANO...Salsa Inglesa...taste good with almost anything and everything!

roadadvisor

Manassas, VA
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Top 5 Things to Buy?

Thank you all for your replies. It looks like I will be doing some shopping from coffee, handmade bracelets, rum, salsa to maps!

I like the idea of planning my next trip:)

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Top 5 Things to Buy?

Another vote for Lizano. We have it in our kitchen at all times.

The wooden bowls and crafts are also very nice.

There is also alot of nice pottery.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Top 5 Things to Buy?

lizano! put it on everything! does anyone know if you can buy this online?

Edited: 23 July 2010, 14:21
Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Top 5 Things to Buy?

found it. amazon.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,360 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Top 5 Things to Buy?

Lizano is now a Unilever product. It should start appearing in USA greocery stores I would guess.

Another purchase of interest is the Costa Rica rocking chair. We looked at a few while in Saarchi but didn't buy. They are quite comfortable. And , as we found when we got home, we can order directly from Costa Rica for about the same prices... delivered.

Coffee of course

Cacique guaro

and Ron Cenatairio rum (sp?)