We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visitor's Crime Awareness and Prevention Guide

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Visitor's Crime Awareness and Prevention Guide

I just recived the following from CAP on Crime and I am sure they don't mind I share it on the forum with travellers to Costa Rica:

1. During your stay here use caution when contacting unknown people.

2. When swimming or playing in the ocean, make sure someone is watching your valuables.

3. Use caution when visiting remote locations or isolated beaches.

4. When in restaurants, markets, or other public areas NEVER leave your valuables unattended.

5. When you travel by car, always lock the doors, and never leave your personal items in sight.

6. When staying in hotels use the safety boxes to keep cash, jewels and documents protected.

7. Lock doors and windows in your place of lodging.

8. Keep a photocopy of all documents/passports in order to facilitate the retrieval of any lost item.

9. Don’t be a victim. Be aware of your surroundings and know WHERE you are at all times.

10. Do not wear valuable jewellery that can draw attention to you.

11. In the city carry small backpacks in front of you.

12. Stay alert if someone approaches or pushes you, or you feel that you are being followed. Notify the nearest police officer or walk into the nearest public establishment.

13. To exchange money only use banks or authorized exchange windows. You will need your passport for all bank transactions.

14. Use ATM’s that are located in public and well lit areas. Avoid help from strangers. Withdraw, count your money, and put it away before leaving.

15. If travelling by bus keep all carry-ons in your possession. Verify you have all items before departing bus.

16. In the event of an emergency always call 911 first. Ask for an English speaking operator. Identify your local police station and/or town.

17. If during your travels you feel lost or experience any difficulties you can call 800-TURISMO

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,231 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visitor's Crime Awareness and Prevention Guide

Thank you very nice of you for sharing ...

roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visitor's Crime Awareness and Prevention Guide

Tiki Villas. That is a great guide to try to avoid becoming a victim of crime

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visitor's Crime Awareness and Prevention Guide

This a great list for traveling anywhere in the world! :-)

Two things I would add that I've learned from my travels:

#8: I suggest scanning copies of your passport before you even leave and then e-mailing them to yourself so you have them online...that way you can access them from any Cyber Cafe and then print them out. Also, I keep a copy of my passport in my wallet-the front page and the entry date stamp-that way if I ever get stopped, the police know I haven't been here past my 90 days. :-)

#13: I always just use a copy of my passport at the bank (and I don't even have an account there) so I pretty much never have my passport on me...it's always locked up at home. Of course the bank can change it's policy at any time so ask. :-)

Many of these things are common sense in traveling all over the world so thank you for posting this!!! :-)

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visitor's Crime Awareness and Prevention Guide

Thanks, these are common sense precautions anywere in the world not just Costa Rica.

5. Re: Visitor's Crime Awareness and Prevention Guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2011, 06:53
6. Re: Visitor's Crime Awareness and Prevention Guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 10:18