We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

duty free shopping in San Jose airport.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
duty free shopping in San Jose airport.

I am flying into Costa Rica and I want to buy many bottles of alcohol for our wedding in May. Is there a limit of how many bottles I can purchase?

Is there Duty free when you are going INTO Costa Rica or only when leaving the country?

Does anybody have the phone number to the Duty Free store?

Thank you very much.

Alma

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
43 reviews
1. Re: duty free shopping in San Jose airport.

Yes, there is duty free going into CR. Once you go thru Immigrations, you will enter the area where the luggage carousels are. Right as you enter, on your right, is the duty free store. It is small but well stocked and prices are good. Not sure of the exact limit but last trip I bought 6 bottles (around $130) and had no issues. They securely boxed & taped it up for me with an easy to carry handle.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: duty free shopping in San Jose airport.

We often bring in a case of wine with us(6 bottles per person) no problem, I believe the legal amount is 5 liters per person, they can tell you at duty free.

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
80 reviews
3. Re: duty free shopping in San Jose airport.

Friends just came in thru SJO last week and were advised 12 bottles per person ... but best to check w/ the duty free clerk. The selection is better at the Duty Free shops at arrival/departures vs. baggage claim BUT you'll have to lug it all the way thru the airport & immigration until you get a cart downstairs. Lisa

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: duty free shopping in San Jose airport.

Here is some info, anywherecostarica.com/articles/costa-rica-cu…

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: duty free shopping in San Jose airport.

Thank you so much. You are very informative. As long as my fiance and I can each buy 6 bottles I think we will be ok.

Thank you very much.

Alma

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,678 posts
35 reviews
6. Re: duty free shopping in San Jose airport.

You can buy up to 12 bottles each...

roadadvisor

7. Re: duty free shopping in San Jose airport.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2012, 09:30
Wisconsin
3 posts
8. Re: duty free shopping in San Jose airport.

Is it cheaper to buy wine at the airport duty free than at the local liquor stores in San Isidro de General or Dominical. I refer to wines less than $10 in the US. What about beer?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,949 posts
23 reviews
9. Re: duty free shopping in San Jose airport.

There was a limited selection of wines under $15/bottle at the duty free shop by customs.Good deals on wine $15-25/bottle. If you're not picky there are choices but if, for instance, you like to drink malbec or cab there are limited inexpensive choices.

Edited: 24 April 2012, 21:22
Wisconsin
3 posts
10. Re: duty free shopping in San Jose airport.

Do they carry American whiskeys/burbons like Jack Daniels? Did you notice any prices on these?