We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

earthquake and Riu Guanacaste

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
581 posts
70 reviews
earthquake and Riu Guanacaste

We are scheduled the 21-28th foe the Riu Guanacaste. Is anyone there that knows if I should cancel my trip

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
52 reviews
1. Re: earthquake and Riu Guanacaste

Some damage at the hotel, some normal precautions were taken today. Some minor damage, we will know more tomorrow. There are other hotels, like Tamarindo Diria that are in good shape. You should not cancel, at the most change hotels, but lets wait until tomorrow.

People get worried on the very first day of a quake, but things are coming back to normal. In general the country has made it pretty good, considering the large event. Banks are opening tomorrow and some stores too.

Here in Rincon de la Vieja volcano things look ok.

2. Re: earthquake and Riu Guanacaste

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 September 2012, 12:40
new jersey
1 post
3. Re: earthquake and Riu Guanacaste

we are scheduled to go to costa rica ( riu on sept 15th thru 22nd) not sure if I should cancel as well.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: earthquake and Riu Guanacaste

I would not stay at the Riu. We are just leaving the RIU after the quake and the hotel will need to be checked for structural integrity and repairs will need to be done. I would check some of the other hotels in the area over the RIU.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: earthquake and Riu Guanacaste

I would not stay at the Riu. We are just leaving the RIU after the quake and the hotel will need to be checked for structural integrity and repairs will need to be done. I would check some of the other hotels in the area over the RIU.

6. Re: earthquake and Riu Guanacaste

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 09:49
Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
581 posts
70 reviews
7. Re: earthquake and Riu Guanacaste

hi Mike, I saw the one bar damaged. Is there anything closed or disruption to service? maybe too soon to tell

8. Re: earthquake and Riu Guanacaste

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 09:49
Cartago, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
144 posts
9. Re: earthquake and Riu Guanacaste

No services are affected ay Riu. There is some very minor damage as in many hotels in guanacaste. Everything is operating normally I live in Costa Rica and called the hotel directly, talked to a few people from the hotel.

Edited: 06 September 2012, 10:24
Wayne, NJ
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: earthquake and Riu Guanacaste

We too were at the Riu during the quake. We were on the 5th floor. Comments above are reality, not Vendetta. Walls are cracked, chunks of the building are down in many locations, water was running on the floors in the hallways, I witnessEd the side building moving in multiple directions at the same time, as our wing did the same. Chunks were falling off the side at the roof level. At the airport, multiple other guests on lower floors stated there was already 4-5 inches of water in their rooms. Definitely needs structural check. They currently do not have availability to respond to phones (myself/united vacations/Riu central) cannot obtain contact.

Other than the earthquake and the Riu response to it-----it was fabulous!

We were informed by workers at the Riu palace that a wall fell and a worker died due to this.