We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report: 4 weeks in Costa Rica with a big family

sweden
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report: 4 weeks in Costa Rica with a big family

This december- january our family of 6 spent just under 4 weeks travelling around Costa Rica. My husband and I are in our 50`s and the youngsters 16-23. We went to 8 different places all around the country, travelling mainly in public buses and shared transports. We stayed in simple hotels and hostels, where we had 3 double rooms, and fixed our own breakfast and lunch most of the time. In the evenings we ate in good restaurants or sodas. Our budget was 10 000 dollars, including the activities (ziplines, national parks, surfing, guides).

The first and last night we spent in Alajuela, a lovely and peaceful little town. We went to the market, walked up the hill from where you have a good view and spent a lot of time in the little park in the town centre. That´s where all the families gather and it was great sitting there eating ice cream and watching all the people.

Next stop was Monteverde where we went on a public bus that was surprisingly comfortable. We spent 3 nights there. Went hiking in the a quiet and beutiful nature reserve (not the most popular one), did the Selvatura hanging bridges and ziplines. I´m scared of hights but after a couple of ziplines I actually really enjoyed it!

Then we went on the jeep+boat to Arenal. That trip was so beutiful with amazing scenery, we enjoyed every minute! In La Fortuna we spent 3 nights. Took a taxi to the lovely waterfall and walked back and hiked the lava fields. The best part was the hot springs, Eco Thermales. Such a beutiful and peaceful place, especially in the evening in the dark! Good food there too.

We went on a shared minibus+boat to Tortuguero where we spent 2 nights. There we saw an amazing amount of animals. Walking on the beach one sunset we disovered that we had around 30 turtle babies around our feet, making their way from the egg to the water! Went on a guided canoe trip with the exellent guide Víctor Barrantes who was really good at spotting animals. We were within 2 meters of tucans and caymans! I can really recommend going with a small quiet canoe as you can get in amongst the trees.

From Tortuguero we went by boat+taxi to Punta Uva where we stayed 5 nights over Christmas. We had a lot of rain but the beach is absolutely beutiful and so peaceful. Went to the Jaguar rescue centre were we saw lots of sloth babies and could hold little monkey babies, something we will never forget! There were loads of other rescued animals too, waiting to be let back out into the rainforest once they are well enough.

We took a public bus to Cahuita were we spent 2 nights. Walked in the National park and laid on a lovely beach.

We took a public bus to San José and changed to another public bus to Manuel Antonio. Must say that the buses in Costa Rica are really easy to travel on and very cheap!

In Manuel Antonio we spent 3 nights. There was tons of tourists in the National park on New years day but we found a lovely spot in the shade on one of the beaches. There big groups of racoons and monkeys and an iguana came to visit us right by our towels. They were after our sandwiches! We didn´t bother with a guide here, you really don´t need one. I was stung by a jellyfish which hurt but a guide told me to pee on it which actually helped! The jellyfishes here are not dangerous, thankfully!

From here we had a private transport to Playa Samara to save us going back via San José. It took 5 hours and cost 280 dollars for 6 (Transport Costa Rica). Very nice driver who stopped on a bridge from were we could se around 40 huge crocodiles!

We loved Samara and spent 5 nights in a little rented cottage close to the beach (Samara rentals). The kids took a surf lesson and practiced surfing the rest of the days, very gentle waves here. I went horse riding, full speed on a deserted beach next to the main one, great! From Samara we took the public bus back to Alajuela for our flight back to Sweden.

We had a wonderful holiday in this beutiful country and saw so many animals. Not only in the parks but even in the hotel gardens and in the villages. The Ticos are so friendly and helpful. We never felt unsafe and had nothing stolen. I went on long lonely walks every morning and felt totally safe! If you are not into luxury I can promise that cheap hotels and public buses are really good here!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,048 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report: 4 weeks in Costa Rica with a big family

Swedenfamily, thanks for your trip report. It is not often to read about how to travel using mainly local buses, and I am sure many will profit from your experiences. It is also reassuring to read that you feel safe and that you didn't have any problems.

My question re.logistic is about your luggage. For such a long period, what kind of luggage did you use? Were you able to easily find places to wash the clothes whenever needed?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report: 4 weeks in Costa Rica with a big family

A great trip report! Thanks so much!

So happy you had such an enjoyable visit. It was great to read about all your experiences and your enthusiasm about the country.

nebraska
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report: 4 weeks in Costa Rica with a big family

Thank you for the report.

sweden
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report: 4 weeks in Costa Rica with a big family

Hi, the young people had backpacks and the two oldies had suitcases, either works well on the buses. You don´t need a lot of clothes as the weather is warm in most places.. We did a little handwashing in some places and dried it on the line we always take on our travels. On the Carribian side it´s extremely humid, no washing dried there. We then took a big load into a laundry and picked it up the next day, dry and clean. It didn´t cost much. The cottage we hired in Samara actually had a washing machine!

Fremont, California
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report: 4 weeks in Costa Rica with a big family

Thank you for the great report. I'm trying to see if my family of five can go to CR this summer. Could you please advise how and who you booked your hotel, activities and shared transport with? Where did you stayed at in Monteverde and La Fortuna? If you had 1 week in CR where would you go and what activities would you do?

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report: 4 weeks in Costa Rica with a big family

Fantastic report! I live here (and own a car) so I never take the public transport so I am so happy to hear you had a great time and at affordable prices! I'd love to know which place s you actually stayed at and how each place was??? I'm always looking for fun, new and inexpensive places to stay around the country. Pura Vida!

kentucky
Level Contributor
126 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report: 4 weeks in Costa Rica with a big family

Thanks for your report. My husband and I also in our 50's are going in June. Leaving our son home this time. Usually we rent a car. Wouldn't mind taking buses (we did in the 70's) but I am worried about theft. If you put your luggage under the bus what keeps someone from taking it before you get off to claim it? Any hints in that department would be appreciated. Thanks!

8. Re: Trip report: 4 weeks in Costa Rica with a big family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 May 2013, 21:05
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report: 4 weeks in Costa Rica with a big family

Thanks for your report.Planning a 2wk trip. Would it be possible to share the named of the hotels/hostels where you stayed. Tks.

Photobuff

2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report: 4 weeks in Costa Rica with a big family

Thanks for your report.Planning a 2wk trip. Would it be possible to share the named of the hotels/hostels where you stayed. Tks.

Photobuff